Posts by cai0311

I would use the air brush.
In the US Wilton is the standard for slice size. There website has a party size and a wedding size. The difference comes in the height of the cake. If the cake is 4" or taller than the serving size is 1" x 2" x 4" (or taller). If the cake is 2" tall then the serving size is 2" x 2" x 2". I price cakes for all occasions the same way. But all my cakes are at least 4" tall. I don't do short cakes. I give the client a cutting guide, explain what to do and then send...
 Or you can glue the cake board to the drum with a hot glue gun - that is what I do. It is very secure that way. There is no chance it will move.I order white cake drums from Global Sugar Art. In most cases I don't feel the drum needs decorated because it is white and matches already.
Lik the other posters stated a cake drum is perfect. I glue a card board cake board to the cake drum. The drums are sturdy enough for large cakes. I deliver 5 tier cakes on them all the time. So it can handle a 6" cake. Here is a link: http://www.globalsugarart.com/round-inch-foil-drums-c-869_439.html I don't decorate the board unless the client pays for that, and with the cake you posted - it just wouldn't be worth it. I my pics is several cupcake towers I have...
When I first started making cakes from my house (licensed home bakery) I took any order that came my way. I wouldn't lower my prices but I would take small orders not really worth my time because I made so little. But I needed pictures to show clients - so I took the orders. I only did this for 1 year. At the end of the year mark I had enough pictures and experience I could just focus on higher end cakes. I decided to market myself to brides. For my area that is where...
I would recommend stacking the 14 and 12 at home and the rest at the venue.
Wow, $1.50 per serving. I would loose money at that price. My 2014 pricing for buttercream cakes started at $4 per serving. I am going to have my website updated for $5 per serving in 2015.
I use bubble tea straws as supports on my cakes. If I am stacking at home I hammer two offset wooden dowels through the cake. If I am stacking at the venue I don't worry about the wooden dowels. I have done several 5 tier cakes - all with the bubble tea straws. You can look at the pictures in my profile to see them. The straws are cheap and easy to use.
Well, every year everything becomes more expensive - so a yearly price increase to reflect this is normal. Maybe even twice a year if prices in your area are experiencing large changes, which it sounds like that is the case. I would suggest stocking up when items are on sale. For example, cream cheese (used in your 6 cheese cakes a week) usually has an expiration date three months out. So you should be able to stock up when it is on sale and not have to worry about it...
For some reason the poll won't work for me. I have a Samsung oven at home which has the option to convection bake or not. I use the convection bake option on all my cakes, cupcakes and cookies. I don't think I could ever go back to a regular oven. Since I can bake cakes on all three oven racks at the same time it has cut my baking time down by a third. I can now bake a 4 tier wedding cake in less than 2 hours.