Posts by cai0311

I have been a home baker (legal) for almost 8 years now. I decided I wanted to target brides because in my area weddings are where the money is at. So I signed up for a free listing on wedding wire and a paid listing on The Knot. I get most of my clients from these two sites. Make sure you have a business Google account (free) to direct the Googlers to your website. There is also a large bridal show in my area that I participate in once a year (about 600 brides). My...
I quit using buttercream under fondant. Now all my fondant covered cakes are iced in white chocolate ganache. The ganache holds up much better to the weight of fondant and works well for warm days.
At $2 / serving I would loose money on the job. For a fondant covered cake my pricing starts at $4.50 / serving. On a side note, how do you plan on getting 350 servings out of a 4 tiered cake?
The icing doesn't have to crust to be used under fondant, but it does have to harden in the fridge. Otherwise the cake will be a lumpy mess and all the buttercream will ooze out the bottom when you are trying to cover it. I quit using buttercream under fondant. Instead I use white chocolate ganache. Ganache holds up so much better to the weight of fondant than buttercream.
 I agree that the website is not design friendly. It is difficult to read and navigate.I operate a home bakery in Ohio. I decided I wanted to focus on wedding cakes because in my area that is where the money is. I have a free listing on wedding wire (IMO wedding wire offers the best free listing options) and a paid listing on The Knot. I get about 50% of my brides from The Knot (the listing more than pays for itself) and the rest come from either wedding wire or...
I bake from home (legal). It is not common in my area to charge for tastings, so I do not charge my brides for a tasting. I use whatever samples I have on hand. They do not get to pick what they try. This keeps my costs down which allows me to offer free tastings. I usually have on hand 4 - 5 cake flavors, 5 - 6 fillings and my buttercream.
Ganache cannot be rolled out. It has a consistancy of peanut butter - and just as sticky. If you want to put white circles on the cake the circles need to be fondant.
My cupcake stand is a custom 5 tier stand made from wood - that is the only cupcake stand I would trust to hold up a 3 tier cake. Most online are made from cardboard, which won't cut it. The cake would be too heavy. I have made several 2 tier cakes for the top of the stand, never a 3 tier. The top tier is usually just to cut for pictures so I haven't had a need to make a 3 tier cake when I have a cupcake order. Now, that being said, I would do it if I used my stand. ...
People don't understand that when they purchase a custom decorated cake the labor cost is more than the ingredient cost. They think "I can buy the ingredients for cheaper that the $200 required to buy the cake so my cake will be cheaper". Not even close to how it works. There was a recent forum on here about a lady that had someone offer the same thing. Next words out of the client's mouth was "but I don't have to buy the flour and sugar because you already have...
I would call the venue/caterer to find out what really happened. It sounds to me like a case of greediness on behalf of the MOB. Now, I do not agree with the thought that cake at a wedding needs to be returned for a refund. The client is not cutting the cake so by the time they realize there is a problem, the cake is probably already cut and served. Plus, what is a wedding without a dessert. Even if I realized the cake was bad, I don't think I would have stopped my...