Posts by cai0311

I haven't had any issues with the cakes settling in the fridge. I do understand what you mean, but by the time the cake is chilled through and through it has been in the fridge for several hours setting.
If you do a search in the forums with the keywork pricing - thousands of threads will pop up. Probably all the info you need can be found there.
I am going to be totally honest, I am in the US and the weight of cake means nothing to me. I know some countries charge by weight so maybe that is what you are doing - don't know. But I don't know how to convert the weight of something into $ I would charge. Anyway... You mentioned it takes you 10 - 20 hours to complete a cake. If you charged $87 for a cake that took you 10 hours to complete that is only $8.70 / hour - and that is before the cost of ingredients and...
I operate from a licensed home bakery too. It can make it difficult to get an accurate cost nailed down. For example, the electricity used when my kitchen lights are on when I am decorating is a business cost - but I am home so my lights would be probably be on anyway. To count or not to count... that is the question. Here is what I do to make my life simple: Bills I pay whether I have a home business or not I don't bother accounting for. It is a few dollars a month...
When I fill a cake I allow it to settle overnight in my fridge. That ensures all the air bubbles, icing compression... is finished before I ice. I then "trim" all my cakes (which are nice and firm because they are chilled) to make sure the cake is just a tad smaller than the cake board. This allows me to use the board as a guide and get perfectly straight sides.
I think some sort of refund is in order because according to your first post, you thought there might be a problem. Maybe you need to have two buttercream recipes so when a customer calls with this situation again you have a Plan B recipe. I use Sharon Sugar Shack's buttercream recipe with high ratio shortening. It holds up to heat and humidity just fine.
 I use ganache also and it has completely changed my fondant cakes. I also think very thin fondant (rolled to 1/16" thick) is easier to get smooth.
I use bubble tea straws for all my cakes. They are easy to work with, cheap and very strudy. I hammer 2 offset wooden dowels (one end sharpened) all the way through my cakes. Each cake has 2 cardboard cake circles hot glued together under it. The bottom tier has the cake circles glued to a 1/2" thick cake drum (I get mine from global sugar art). I like 2 boards because it is sturdier when I am moving the cakes from counter to fridge to counter to fridge.... The big...
 I have the double blade Agbay too. It has been one of the best investments I ever made.
I work full time and decorate cakes on the side as, what started as a hobby, and is now a full flege business (licensed home bakery). Last year was my busiest year. I wanted to see: 1. What I could personally handle 2. How many orders I could book with my current advertising (when I turn away orders I can't really get an accurate booking rate) Well, I took up to 3 orders per weekend - most of those orders were from May - Nov (wedding season in NE Ohio) and it almost...