Posts by cai0311

I would suggest putting up a calendar on your website showing weekends you are available / already booked. Now, "booked" doesn't have to mean a cake - it just means you schedule is already filled. Then put up a calendar in your house (which you probably already have) and mark with weekends you will take orders and which ones you won't take orders. You can do this a year in advance. That way you know far in advance what weekends to plan parties, date nights, pizza...
I have stopped asking my husband "what color is this fondant to you" when trying to color match. I use to see if what I thought was a match for Tiffany Blue (or any color) was what he thought Tiffany Blue should be. Well, in the Tiffany Blue example he didn't pick Tiffany Blue because he had never heard of it. My point is one person's blue is another person's green. Until you see a picture of the cake I wouldn't assume something changed or went wrong.
I haven't had any issues with the cakes settling in the fridge. I do understand what you mean, but by the time the cake is chilled through and through it has been in the fridge for several hours setting.
If you do a search in the forums with the keywork pricing - thousands of threads will pop up. Probably all the info you need can be found there.
I am going to be totally honest, I am in the US and the weight of cake means nothing to me. I know some countries charge by weight so maybe that is what you are doing - don't know. But I don't know how to convert the weight of something into $ I would charge. Anyway... You mentioned it takes you 10 - 20 hours to complete a cake. If you charged $87 for a cake that took you 10 hours to complete that is only $8.70 / hour - and that is before the cost of ingredients and...
I operate from a licensed home bakery too. It can make it difficult to get an accurate cost nailed down. For example, the electricity used when my kitchen lights are on when I am decorating is a business cost - but I am home so my lights would be probably be on anyway. To count or not to count... that is the question. Here is what I do to make my life simple: Bills I pay whether I have a home business or not I don't bother accounting for. It is a few dollars a month...
When I fill a cake I allow it to settle overnight in my fridge. That ensures all the air bubbles, icing compression... is finished before I ice. I then "trim" all my cakes (which are nice and firm because they are chilled) to make sure the cake is just a tad smaller than the cake board. This allows me to use the board as a guide and get perfectly straight sides.
I think some sort of refund is in order because according to your first post, you thought there might be a problem. Maybe you need to have two buttercream recipes so when a customer calls with this situation again you have a Plan B recipe. I use Sharon Sugar Shack's buttercream recipe with high ratio shortening. It holds up to heat and humidity just fine.
 I use ganache also and it has completely changed my fondant cakes. I also think very thin fondant (rolled to 1/16" thick) is easier to get smooth.
I use bubble tea straws for all my cakes. They are easy to work with, cheap and very strudy. I hammer 2 offset wooden dowels (one end sharpened) all the way through my cakes. Each cake has 2 cardboard cake circles hot glued together under it. The bottom tier has the cake circles glued to a 1/2" thick cake drum (I get mine from global sugar art). I like 2 boards because it is sturdier when I am moving the cakes from counter to fridge to counter to fridge.... The big...