Posts by cai0311

My cupcake stand is a custom 5 tier stand made from wood - that is the only cupcake stand I would trust to hold up a 3 tier cake. Most online are made from cardboard, which won't cut it. The cake would be too heavy. I have made several 2 tier cakes for the top of the stand, never a 3 tier. The top tier is usually just to cut for pictures so I haven't had a need to make a 3 tier cake when I have a cupcake order. Now, that being said, I would do it if I used my stand. ...
People don't understand that when they purchase a custom decorated cake the labor cost is more than the ingredient cost. They think "I can buy the ingredients for cheaper that the $200 required to buy the cake so my cake will be cheaper". Not even close to how it works. There was a recent forum on here about a lady that had someone offer the same thing. Next words out of the client's mouth was "but I don't have to buy the flour and sugar because you already have...
I would call the venue/caterer to find out what really happened. It sounds to me like a case of greediness on behalf of the MOB. Now, I do not agree with the thought that cake at a wedding needs to be returned for a refund. The client is not cutting the cake so by the time they realize there is a problem, the cake is probably already cut and served. Plus, what is a wedding without a dessert. Even if I realized the cake was bad, I don't think I would have stopped my...
 I agree with this post. The cake should be placed on the floor of the car or trunk. It must be level at all times.
 It is a lace mold. You can get it from Global Sugar Art.
Fondarific has a great tasting black fondant.
For any tiered cake I use bubble tea straws as my supports in each tier. I base the number of straws off the tier they are supporting. I use 2 less straws than the diameter. So, for a 10" cake with an 8" cake sitting on it I use 6 straws. For an 8" cake with a 6" cake sitting on it I use 4 straws. Make sense? Once stacked I hammer wooden dowels all the way through the cake. For a 2 tiered cake I only use 1 dowel, but for a 3 or more tiered cake I hammer 2 offset...
Any cake tier I bake over 4" tall I put insert supports (bubble tea straws) and put each tier on its own cake board.
A local high end bakery in my area opened a mall location about 3 years ago for 6 months. Now, I admit, I don't go to the mall a ton (I am an online shopper) but the couple times I was at the mall I never saw a single person buy anything. The problem was people don't go to the mall thinking "let's buy baked goods". Plus when I am shopping I don't want to feel fat from eating a cupcake. At a large mall about 40 minutes North of me a bakery that was on a year of Amazing...
Is this for a Saturday wedding? Personally, I don't like the idea of serving cake that has been out for 6 days. I would thaw Wednesday, fill / ice thrusday, apply ruffle friday, delivery saturday. I would skip the step of covering the cake with fondant. The fondant strips will stick to the buttercream just fine. If you use a crusting buttercream you may have to use a spray bottle to get the icing a bit wet or apply a little water to the ruffled strip to make the...