Posts by cai0311

I leave my batter on the counter while all my cupcake batches bake. This has never affected the cupcakes. Keep trying. And don't let people change their order. I have a no changes can be made once an event is 30 days away clause in my contract. I hold people to this. Even family members that don't sign the contract.
You can but the orange flavor won't be very strong. I would suggest adding a box of orange jello to the recipe too. That will give it a strong orange flavor.
I am in one of the knot's targeted area. I get a couple inquires a month but when I ask brides how they found me most say the know or wedding wire. So just because you don't get email inquires from the know doesn't mean they aren't directing brides your way. The reviews brides leave me on these sites is probably the main reason people contact me. Getting reviews is huge!
You need to have a website - not just social media pages. Professional looking pictures should be the only pictures on the website (and socal media pages). A picture speaks a thousand words - so a crappy picture makes a cake look crappy. Find out your target customer and go where they go. I target brides because in my area that is where the money is. I have several free listings on websites that target brides (such as wedding wire). I also pay for a listing on The...
I use white chocolate ganache under my fondant. The white chocolate is similar to buttercream in that the flavor is neutral. Plus, if I have to remove the fondant because it tore, cracked, I knicked it with my finger nail... the white doesn't discolor the fondant. So I can roll the same piece out which saves me materials which saves me money. I don't give clients a choice. I tell them "my fondant covered cakes are iced in white chocolate ganache". I like the finish...
Without a picture to see how big of an area crumbled it is tought to say if it will work or not. But, If you are using ganache as your icing then you should be fine. I only use ganache as icing on topsy turvy cakes and it locks everything into place. If you are using buttercream I still think you will be fine. Just make sure to chill the cake really well before delivery.
Practice is the best way to get better at piping. And while practicing, do so with different icing consistancies. Since you icing gets soft from the heat of your hands I would suggest filling two bags. When one bag gets to soft pop it in the fridge while you pipe with the other bag. There isn't any down time this way.
My contract states that the stands must be returned no later than 3 days after the event. Every day after the 3 day mark I keep $25 from their deposit. I always email people the week of their event to remind them of this. Most couples leave the next day for their honeymoon so they need to make sure to get the stand to someone and give me that person's contact info to arrange a date/time to bring the stand back.
I charge a refundable deposit on my cupcake stand but the deposit doesn't cover the entire cost of the stand. I don't charge for the full cost becaus no one would pay it - refundable or not no bride is going to shell out $425 to use my stand. I change a deposit price of $175 to use the stand and a $50 rental fee that is non refundable. My cake stands are pretty much the same principle. I have a refundable deposit of $100 for the stands and a $25 rental fee that is non...
I attend a large bridal show in my area every year (about 600 brides attend). I make mini cupcakes with a small swirl of icing on top. They are displayed on my giant cupcake stand. The stand is build on a lazy susan so it spins which makes it really easy to refill. Anyway... for the 600 brides I make about 1300 mini cupcakes. Some people want one, some two, some none. By the end of the day I usually have about 100 leftover to pass out to vendors as we pack up. My...