Posts by jenmat

I like 3" they bake better and you can get them just a little higher than the 2 inch pans. I hate tiny short tiers.
oh, by the way, I only use cigar ash for sprinkles! Didn't know it could be used for filling too!
VERY true- and I also think that with shops and larger businesses that there is level of trust that comes with the size. Not that its always true, but the perception is that if you have a shop/large operation, you must be doing something right. So, when you say "my lemon tastes like my white but like lemon," that makes perfect sense, because, hey, you as the baker have been around the block a few times, and there is a reason you are successful. If you put out crap too many...
So I've read some really great threads recently about those silly articles in bridal magazines with the top things you should ask your baker.... you know what I'm talking about. My question is what questions do you WISH a bride would ask, or things you wish a bride would tell you/comment? Things they don't think of but should know?
I think baking is a skill no matter how you slice it- scratch or box, its still a matter of try and try again. Some of us get really good at making IMBC. Some are best at Fondant, some loooove the crisco and butter stuff. I make from both scratch and mixes- whatever recipe makes the best tasting cake. There are times I do feel guilty about the whole thing. I do feel its more work to make a scratch cake, so I feel I'm cheating if I don't. Then I think- cake mix was made to...
I think a bigger place CAN, I just don't think they SHOULD HAVE TO. When I worked at the big store, I actually had people insist I slice up a cake off the shelf to see if they liked it. RIGHT, like THAT was going to happen. Then, I moved to a smaller scale operation, and we had 6 flavors, and had them at all times, but we didn't do tastings- we told people to buy a cake. Our reputation proceeded us so most people who came to us had already had our cake. OR, we had just...
actually, I wasn't being specific to any one of your cakes. There's not enough of them to look at to make a real judgement. I trained a lot of decorators when working at a big box store and that was my biggest pet peeve. Its so much fun to do the rest of the design elements, that beginners often overlook the "behind the scenes" parts- structure, fillings, supports and smooth icing. Then they have a really bad mishap and wonder what happened. If someone were to come to me...
the best thing you can do for yourself (besides learning how to bake one heck of cake) is to learn how to base frost. Purchase sheet cake and round cake dummies, make your icing recipe and ice, scrape, repeat. You can make the best figures in the world, but if you put it on sloppy icing, it won't look as nice. once you can ice in your sleep, you can move on to fondant. Really, the basics are so important- people often move on to other skills before they can really ice a...
Cringe..I knew that was coming!There are quite a few cake places in my area- both home and bakeries, (including 2 home decorators on my street- its a long road though), so offering a choice in samples is one of the ways I have chosen to set myself apart from them, although there may come a day that my reputation allows me to offer less. If I was a bigger operation like you, I would never let them choose. I've worked at both a big chain store and in a busy bakery, and we...
glad you had a good experience. Mine was about 13,000, and then we built the house on top of it. I'm in your area and we had a lot of people do things on the side. Best of luck!