Posts by jenmat

If you were to walk into my bakery with a grocery store on your resume, I would have to look at your work, but all things being equal I would hire you over a home decorator any day. I know you'd be quick and I know you'd understand bottom line. Time is money, and the fact that you would be quicker would be VERY attractive to me.
that said, it is truly a great experience to work at a supermarket bakery, even if for a little while. You can up your skills on their dollar, and that is priceless. It also makes you work up your speed. doing both jobs would probably be ideal- decorators at large stores don't usually get paid the big bucks- just consider getting paid to go to school. You get what you put into it- even grocery store decorators can be awesome if they want to be!
I could, and no, its not that much work, but I have 6 other cupcake tastings this month and I don't want to start a trend- we'd be talking 12 cupcakes for 4 people tonite! Overkill. Charging for tastings for me isn't in my blood, just not my thing.
I found a web designer, and regret it a little. I say if you can do it yourself, then do it. Its so annoying to have to pay every time you want to make a change. Unfortunately we're also relate, so its not like I can fire her or anything.I hear GoDaddy is good, but I know Vista Print also offers web hosting for really cheap.
hmmm. I don't have the pan, but maybe I could bake one reg sized cupcake and then I do have a pan for mini cupcakes, maybe make mini cupcakes for the rest of them? Its not like the rest of the bridesmaids need to take lots of bites with different icings.
yeah, I guess I could, but I always think that the cupcakes just have a different feel to them and I want them to know what they are getting, especially with the filling and how much filling they actually receive.
So I usually do 4" cakes with fillings for my tastings, and thats fine, but tonight, and for quite a few this month, I have cupcake wedding cake tastings.The bride this evening is bringing her maximum for people (4 total).Usually, they just cut up the 4" cake and serve it up. But do I make 4 of each kind of cupcake? I mean, my actual charge of cupcakes for weddings is cheaper, and I limit the flavors unless they want to pay more per cake. In other words, I don't think a...
non skid is key, even with a small cake or one tiered. I tried having a cake on my lap once.... yeah, never again. I used Stress Free Supports in tiered cakes over 2 tiers, and I also don't assemble until I get there for weddings. Both are just personal preferences- SPS works great too, and I know plenty of people who deliver fully assembled with nary a worry.I also never box wedding cakes, just another step that can connect fingers to cake icing.
Amen, girlie. Neatness is key with design, and I love to eat fondant! I also think cakes can look and taste good at the same time.That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making wonderful, homemade, yummy cakes that just scream "eat me"But, I think the contests are for decorating rather than taste....I mean its not like you can invite us over for a slice of your cake. The contests are meant to inspire and encourage us to be better decorators. By all means, enter...
i sometimes get a little depressed seeing those other cakes because it confirms I need to up my prices ABOVE those places, not at their level. Some of those places get paid on reputation, I get that, but what passes for good work around here just makes me sick. There is no excuse for sloppy work if you're getting paid.