Posts by jenmat

i was really expecting a mess, but that cake is adorable- and although it doesn't have a lot of detailing, if you see the picture on the invite, it totally makes sense. She specifically asked it to look like the invite? I'm not sure the part about the "filled with buttercream." Did she mean there was too much filling in between the layers?I think you did the right thing- she doesn't deserve a full refund, she doesn't even deserve a partial refund really- but the offer of...
if this ever happens to you again- first, ALWAYS get a contract, but you know that. Then, NO ONE has a right to talk to you like that. The fact that you took it clued her into the fact that you would also give her a refund. Take the cake, tell her you will contact her about reimbursement, and DO NOT TAKE THAT CR%$!!! I'm sorry this happened to you, but the only one who can demand respect for you is YOU. And I would have told her to go ahead and dispute the charges. You...
I do use rhinestones sometimes. I do have the bride sign a waiver. I use Dreamtime Creations. Its a website that sells every size you can think of and almost every color too. Good prices and pretty fast shipping. HTH
that's a great blog and a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
So, let me get this straight- snarky, your bakery will sell a cake to a bride that serves 165, but the bride only pays for 155 because that is what she needs. So she's getting 10 servings for free?If I was that bride I would just adjust my count accordingly to get as much as I could for free.So, if you book the 165 and then she calls and says, well I was at 154 and now I'm at 145, but the next cake down only serves 135, so you refund her the money? If you say that you...
well, i certainly don't hate you for that, but I'm not sure I understand some of the questions, especially the one about making a bride pay for servings she doesn't need.It sounds to me as if some of those questions are more of a sales pitch in disguise, which is a great way to set yourself apart. And the health dept- we don't get a choice how often we are inspected. I wish it were more often to tell you the truth. I assume from those questions you aren't a fan of home...
that's where I was going with this whole thing- there should be articles in those magazines about how to work WITH your vendors instead of against them. We are NOT out to rob you blind, and we are part of the team that will be making or breaking your day. If you are antagonistic with us, our relationship is already stunted. I would love to see an article called: 10 things every baker wants their bride to know.
I like 3" they bake better and you can get them just a little higher than the 2 inch pans. I hate tiny short tiers.
oh, by the way, I only use cigar ash for sprinkles! Didn't know it could be used for filling too!
VERY true- and I also think that with shops and larger businesses that there is level of trust that comes with the size. Not that its always true, but the perception is that if you have a shop/large operation, you must be doing something right. So, when you say "my lemon tastes like my white but like lemon," that makes perfect sense, because, hey, you as the baker have been around the block a few times, and there is a reason you are successful. If you put out crap too many...