Posts by jenmat

Why in the world do other bakers HATE you? That seems weird and kind of unprofessional of them. Is there a reason?At my last wedding show I booked 7 brides, and it was one of the smaller shows. I just depends on what you are willing to do at the show. Brides go to shows these days to get some kind of deal or discount. The first show I did I offered a coupon of x amount off per slice if the booked by x date. I booked 12 brides.The show where I booked 7 on the spot I...
really fun and easy ideas.. but I've noticed that most people in my newspaper engagements announcements are posted about 1-3 months in advance of the actual event. Anyone else notice this? Maybe its just tradition in this area, or maybe I'm just smoking something...
so you are constructing the cake pre-ice? Oh, you poor poor thing! You never had a chance!IMO, that is why you are having trouble. Maybe there are some that could do that and have it turn out well, but man, I've never met one.Indy has the description right (as usual). Ice each cake separately. THEN dowel, THEN assemble. I chill my tiers after icing, and then its easier to assemble- fingers and spatulas don't affect the icing as much when chilled. I know there are others...
I use either- white chocolate for all vanilla based cakes, dark chocolate for all chocolate cakes (unless specified) makes the fondant taste really yummy too!
I always use ganache. There is a thread on here all about it. Best thing I ever did!
I guess I've been busy- haven't noticed the thread still going...I have a new policy I will be adopting thanks to all of you, which will basically state in very nice terms that this is business meeting and I would suggest children under 10 be left at home, but if you must bring your cherub, please also bring a dvd for them to watch. That way, at least I know they will be occupied. As far as parenting- honestly, I'm a mom of a 2 year old. This child was 3, and was just...
wow is right. I'm sorry I started this with that vent! Seriously, I can totally see all sides of the argument... well at least the ones about the post. Not about the Bs and Whs. Not sure where that was read into it. Although I can choose to "take it" because they are paying me, I do not choose to do business in that way. I do NOT have to bend over and take it like the people at Walmart or another chain store. This WAS my fault, I 100% agree with it. I was just annoyed that...
Wow. I am sorry that I haven't gotten post notices and so have not been responding. THanks for looking at my site- I AM fully Licensed and Insured, and I am also very upfront with clients that it is in my home. I wouldn't ask a business question if I wasn't a legit business. People come to me often because I'm small and charge a little less than the storefronts. I do NOT need any more business, so I have no problem losing a few rude clients who would let their children run...
I've had 3 couples in the last month or so that thought it would be appropriate to bring their child with them to the tasting. They don't tell me, but just show up with the kid (last night he was 3). They mess up the house I just spent an hour picking up, my 2 yr old who is laying quietly in bed trying to sleep, cause "mommy has a cake tasting" now gets up because she hears someone rummaging through her toys in the living room. This means that I have my 2 year old sitting...
FYI- Walmart's Black Friday Sale includes a cricut expression for $199 and cartridges for $30.