Posts by jenmat

While I completely understand where you are coming from, a few points: 1. This person may be a baker and is following you. You never know where new relationships can come from.  2. If they are asking you where to get supplies, it is very clear that even if you don't answer, they were not going to be your customer. 3. BUT if you answer and are helpful, maybe this DIY person will remember you the next time they realize they need a "more important" cake or when in a...
I have an IKEA butcherblock table and I love it. It's huge and fits both my sheeter and plenty of rolling room. I typically put it thru the sheeter and then roll to size. 
Try and quick put a call out on the cake decorating page for help. Give it a few hours- you just never know. I'm about 14 hours away, otherwise I'd totally make the drive to help you.  I feel terrible for you and your painful situation, but I also hate to see a bride go without cake if it can be avoided!!!
I think even if you send her that email requesting more money, she's either going to ignore it or pull a "try and get it from me" type thing. I would. Or I would ask for cake to match what I'm paying you. In this case you changed the date, and the risk of changing the date of the due payment was that until that payment was made, they could cancel.  Not that they intended to cancel, but that was the risk of changing the contract, and truly the risk of any wedding...
Was the cake cold? If not, any number of things, including vibrations from the car and roads could cause a split in the bottom tier.  It still looks to me like a brake slam, but a cold cake would weather the storm better and this cake doesn't look cold to me. 
I'm pretty sure mine both roll when the machine turns on, both motorized. Mine is the big sommerset. 
 preach it. did them once, never again. 
Wow. I'm glad that the bride has changed her tune a little bit.    As far as what professionals do (from your original post): 1. Have a contract 2. All details MUST be finalized 2 weeks (or whatever) prior. No changes from that point on.  3. An invoice with date, time and location 4. A "last hurrah" email confirming everything on Monday or Tues, including setup instructions and delivery location/date/time 5. Often a venue contact- asking the venue for any special...
 I think the OP mostly wanted sympathy (which is fine, not knocking the need for commiseration!) but instead got advice on the answer to the question at the end of her original post. I don't think she thought we'd focus on the business end as much without recognizing both the stress it was on her and the effort she made to make it as right as she could at the time. OP, You did a great save. It wasn't what the bride wanted, but you held it together long enough to give them...
Dear Poor Bride~ First off I want to say how incredibly sorry I am that I wasn't able to deliver the cake I promised. I can only imagine how upsetting it was to not see the cake you expected to see on your day. I hope that the rest of your day was perfect, even if my part wasn't even close.    I have already sent your refund check in the mail- 100%. I have also enclosed a coupon for an 8" round cake of your choice. I know you may not wish to use it, but I want to be...