Posts by jenmat

I am not a disaster sleuth, but what you are describing on setup- I do the exact same thing on every tiered cake I make. Each cake has same size boards and then those boards are attached to a silver drum base. I have never ever ever ever had this happen and this is my norm. This to say that I'm not sure you actually "did" anything wrong here. It really may be a complete fluke where an air bubble got underneath, the icing separated when it sat, a cake imp decided to give it...
Yeah, it happens all the time. I give dates and options, and if that doesn't work then obviously we aren't going to work. Can't please everyone, and some people are either just really busy or just plain difficult.    I figure I'm a custom studio and I keep everything small for a reason. People with difficult schedules will probably end up at a local bakery that has a large staff and lots of business hours to accommodate almost any schedule. I can't be that person. If my...
If I'm reading this right: You are the decorator or baker of an established business that was bought out by new owners and kept the name and location? And this lady came in because she's a long time customer and then realized the cake was totally different than she was used to?   1. You are taking this WAAAAY too personally. She couldn't care a fig about who YOU are- she was mad at the business itself, not you personally. You aren't a lady doing cakes out of your home...
How about using white chocolate to attach to a decorative gumpaste plaque? Not sure it would work, but it would certainly come off in hot water!   If I were in your situation, I would say "after further thought and consulting with some experts (ha ha, us!), I really do not feel comfortable with your request. If you need to go in another direction, I completely understand."   If it's a collectible, then there is no way I would chance it because there is no way to...
The no changes after xxx date is a good clause, but also I have one that says that changes can ONLY be made by the person who signed the contract. So if the MOG had come to me and wanted the change, I would have said 2 things: 1.I'm sorry, bride would have to approve this change in writing and 2.Since it's the week of the wedding, no changes can be made.    But I understand in a hectic situation when you walk into the middle of an order it may have been not worth your...
I know, right? I'm sure they are thinking it is a perfectly reasonable question, but it's really not an easy answer, you know?! I guess if I actually liked 3D cakes I'd be more apt to sit down and sketch and think and figure out all that info ahead of time (lol, probably not). But I don't really like them and to me it's an organic process. Take some cake, stack it sturdy, start carving and watch what comes out.    At that point it's more about the shape than it is the...
If there is decoration work on each cupcake, then she is probably getting a bargain. 
I don't love 3D cakes. I do them, but I'm not one to make anything spin or light up or anything. I just try to do clean work and make the cake colorful, somewhat detailed, and most of all, sturdy.    But I've been getting some push-back from type A customers lately. Don't get me wrong, I am type A. But I also understand the creation process so I "get" it.  I'm getting questions I can't answer well enough to satisfy these certain clients, and I empathize with these...
There are times that I can get a certain topper thru my supplier and then I will order it for them. I charge it to their final invoice plus shipping and tax. You don't want that type of topper back- with the lace, etc. If you were a bride, would you want to rent a topper than was used 6 months ago on someone else's cake? (not criticizing, just putting it into perspective.)
Those pillars are Bakery Craft push pillars. They are meant to be single use and are often used by grocery stores for their wedding cakes because they are cheap, sturdy and disposable. They are usually clear and if you want them to look solid you need to fill them with icing. I think BC makes solid white, but those featured are the clear ones- filled.    Even if you get them back, they will not look the same as they did when you had them new, since they are designed to...