Posts by jenmat

No no no  no no no no. Did I say NO?!!!   They have EVERY right to not like your flavors. They have EVERY right to expect their wedding cake to taste exactly like they want it to taste.    And you have EVERY right to run away...fast.    You have proven yourself to be a pushover to them. I don't care if you charged for the second tasting. To them, you are now the "newbie" cake lady who they are so excited they found because they can get cheap cake, a lot of different...
This. I get told every day I should "open a REAL bakery." Well, I have one, it's in my house, and right now if I had to do any more work than I already do I'd go nuts. Being a business is not for the timid, especially if you have a preschooler at home. Good for you to admit that you aren't ready for the big commitment. I would leave the $5 as it is and keep your caking a real hobby until you're ready to turn it into a job. Good luck!
I think if you piped it you would be surprised how nice it looks.  I would ice the cake, then pipe ONTO the printed image on paper with buttercream. Then lightly press the overpiped paper onto the iced cake and pull away gently. It will leave a light buttercream outline/imprint. Then you can get very close to the original design. 
Yep, I'm on baby number 2 due in March. I had pretty bad all day MS until 14 weeks. I just barreled through. I mean, even sunshine made me sick. Seriously.  FInd something to calm your stomach, work in spurts, take breaks, drink lots of water and know it gets better. Congrats to you! 
Yes, you are gifting it to her, and that is very generous. But if you have decided that you want to surprise her, then you need to ok that with her.    What would it feel like if you do you own thing, expect to be given praise and hugs (and who doesn't want this when they are just starting out?) and instead you get crickets? I would give her a basic sketch and tell her you may make adjustments but that is the basic feel you want to go for. Make it clear that THIS is what...
Yes, sounds like the issue was not the fondant, but the paints. I'm not a painting expert, AT ALL. But I have used the airbrush colors with success. You have to be careful though, airbrush color is very loose and it will run or soak into the fondant and make spider marks if you use too much. Make sure to tap off the excess. I would maybe ask on the forums the different mediums people use to paint and see what answers you get. I also know that everclear is better than vodka...
What are you using to paint? I find that the paint is usually more the issue than the fondant. 
I get this too sometimes. If a place is closed, I come when it's open. Somehow for whatever reason though I have couples expecting availability at any time, day or night. Don't get me wrong, I tell them when I have openings and I stand by it. If they don't like the times, they can either go somewhere else, or they can adjust their schedule. I don't care if they're tired and they just want to sleep in, I'm not available when I'm not available. 
I agree with costumeczar (of course) Someone who has that little respect for you and feels the need to lecture you will have very little respect for your policies, pickup times and payment deadlines. That's a big red flag.    My machine directs people to email. It's how I prefer to do business. I rarely answer my phone at all, and never after 5pm or before 9am. 
So the bride was already at the venue when you arrived? Were the guests there too? How long could the cake have possibly had to stand up? I would do what costumeczar said and call the venue. Be proactive and educate yourself before you hear from the bride or a lawyer. If the venue says there was no problem, then awesome. If the venue says there WAS a problem, then you need to contact the bride, tell her you investigated the issue and will be giving a refund of...