Posts by jenmat

Yep, that is the big fat wall I am running into. "I want it now, but I shouldn't have to actually work at it." And some bakeries can oblige. I cannot nor will I. For the past year I have been doing a tasting evening open house type thing at a local hotel. Free of charge, a buttload of flavors, come and go as you please, I am there to answer questions and book. If they can't make it, they could do a paid private tasting. Again, I want to make sure there is a free option. 1....
Thanks everyone. You're right, I'm probably just being oversensitive right now and they've always been like this!    I've vacillated between all sorts of kinds of tastings in the years I've been in business and I really like the idea of just pulling samples from the freezer for these Baker's Choice tastings. So far I am surprised they aren't more popular and brides are still wanting to pay for custom. I always try to offer a free option so if they decide to pay for it...
Ok, first, I am 8 months pregnant. I'm not on bedrest, but more like "take it easy" orders from the doctor.    It is tasting season and I am trying something new (for me).    I am offering 2 choices- Baker's Choice (free) and Custom ($ per flavor).    So WHY is it so flippin hard for brides to get back to me with their Custom flavor requests? I am booking them weeks out, sending them a Tasting Guide with orders to get their requests to me. I am reminding them at...
Yes, when delivering they look a lot better than any constructed box, and are more memorable too. I wouldn't expect it to be a solution that would appeal to someone producing general celebration cakes, but those who do high-end custom tiered cakes on a reg basis would probably benefit from the image and security a CS provides. 
I was going to mention that (I have 3), but figured I'd be made fun of and it wasn't really helpful to the question. 
we always put it in a box, unless for some reason it's just too big. Even when we are delivering a 3 tier cake that won't fit in a standard box height for a celebration we cut off the top and at least put it in the box. A lot of decorators will build their own boxes around the cake, buy them from Office Max, or custom order the ones with windows, even if delivering. We usually don't go that far, but it is a good idea. It may not make sense to you, but a box is kind of a...
I have a 6 year old (almost 7) and a blessing on the way. (after years of failed clomid and IVF we finally got it done the old fashioned way!)   My business took off when my daughter was  a little under 2. My hubby works second shift so he had her in the mornings until she began school. Now I get all day to work until 3:35 when the bus pulls up.  Now that I'm 30 weeks, I've pretty much stopped taking orders until this new little one is born- which could be in a couple...
Um, aren't they cold? Get those babies COLD and then deal with them.   Agreed with everyone here that the whole thing needs to come apart and be re-cut, but if the cakes aren't cold, you are dealing with an unstable structure to begin with and yes, they will be too soft to manage.  Best of luck, sounds like you are going to need a glass of something soon!
Yep. Never had it happen either. I've had a complaint or two, but either I've deserved it or there was a miscommunication that was easily fixed. I have BIG cheapo-radar though and I don't undercharge for my area. 
I haven't gotten that one recently, but isn't it crazy that people want a custom cake (CUSTOM) but want to see an example before they order? I get their thinking, sort of, but if you want an original, there ISN'T going to be an example!!!Or the customer who asks me for suggestions on a themed cake. I give them an email with design suggestions and prices. (no sketches, I'm not going there until there is an actual order) Then they come back and ask for snapshots of all of...