Posts by jenmat

I haven't gotten that one recently, but isn't it crazy that people want a custom cake (CUSTOM) but want to see an example before they order? I get their thinking, sort of, but if you want an original, there ISN'T going to be an example!!!Or the customer who asks me for suggestions on a themed cake. I give them an email with design suggestions and prices. (no sketches, I'm not going there until there is an actual order) Then they come back and ask for snapshots of all of...
Looking at your page, I do agree your work is good.    So, what do YOU think is going on? I know you came for opinions, but do you have theories? It just does seem odd that with your level of work people aren't re-ordering. There HAS to be a reason. Either that, or you haven't looked close enough at your reorder vs lost clients ratio. Maybe it just SEEMS like lately they aren't reordering, but if you look at hard numbers you're fine? I know I panic every once in a while...
Glad to hear it. Nope, I've never had anyone be that rude to me regarding my job. Now I'm SURE that people have said it behind my back. "Can you BELIEVE what she charges for CAKE?!!!" But I've never had a friend post or tell me to my face, (or facebook as the case may be.)  I've had potential customers say that or something similar and I say "I totally understand, good luck with your event!"
Man, some people have really jerky friends. I don't have time in my life for people who don't value what I do. Or at least the ones that don't have the tact to keep it to themselves.    Shrug it off, be glad she will never be your customer, and just delete her from Facebook and probably your life all together, since she already sounds like a goofball. 
personally I wouldn't do an 8" on top. I don't like the bulkiness, but that is personal preference. I would recommend a 6" and 10".  If you don't have wedding policies in place for your business, then I probably wouldn't do the cake at all, or I would spend a whole bunch of time coming up with policies and a contract for her. And yes, you should take a deposit for the date.  What you charge should depend on your overhead plus profit margin, with competitors taken into...
Well, if that is the case, I really think that unless you want to retain her as a client, I would bow this one out. I wouldn't necessarily offer her a discount on a future order unless you want her business again. And if she didn't like your product, then I personally wouldn't want to take any more risks with her. If you DO want her business, I think having her over for a tasting is an excellent idea. That way the samples are stored properly, presented properly, and you...
My wedding prices include delivery within a radius, standard flavor combos, all fillings and IMBC or AMBC, buttercream decorations. It is not based on difficulty. That is standard for our area. Upcharges are fondant, gumpaste work, and carving/unique shape cakes.    My celebration cakes are much cheaper and again are competitive if not a little higher than the other bakeries in my area. They are less than my weddings because they do not include consults, tastings, 6...
So, to clarify- you are 100% convinced that the cake was your standard product?  Do you do from scratch or mix-based recipes?   There were a lot of flags raised in this order, but I'm not sure any were bright red. If she had gone the other way- from a big order to changing her mind to a small order to save money, I would be more convinced that she was scamming you. However, the way it went down, I'm not sure.    Would you feel comfortable cutting and pasting her email...
I had one a while back  Customer (email): HELP! I need a cake for tomorrow (saturday) and so-and-so said to contact you but I forgot! I saw your website and I LOVE your cakes!!!! I will literally take ANYTHING you have- do you maybe have something sitting around or a cake that someone didn't want that I could just buy off of you? Me: Well, thanks for the compliment. Actually, I do have a freshly baked 1/2 sheet cookies and cream cake that I did not end up needing. I...
Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the couple wanting to make sure they get the cake they want. What is throwing up red flags is the customer not liking the texture of the lemon cake. If you don't like a baker's texture, that is different than taste. I can put in more or less lemon, more or less almond, more or less strawberry. What I can't/won't change is the basic recipes I offer. If I were a customer and I didn't like the texture of someone's cake, I'd move on....