Posts by jenmat

the chances of getting the icing all mucked up when stacking are greatly reduced when each tier is VERY well chilled. 
Awesome, Kara~ And conversely I had 4 appts back-to-back yesterday and I'm 4 for 4! Even the bride who didn't get her flavors to me in time signed her name and gave me the cash!    When I did the events I did have some times where the competition was plain and I was taking in more contracts (I usually had 10-15 couples booked for a 2 hour open house). And then I had some nights where everyone came and ate and left before I could even talk to them. Maybe having events in...
Ooh, I have a new one I can share:   Hello I am having my 30th birthday party and I need a special cake. It is a themed party and we are doing a mad hatter tea party from Alice in Wonderland. I would like a tiered cake with about 3 tiers. I am a model and there will be a bunch of us taking pictures with the cake. I have included some photos to get an idea of what I am looking for. obviously we can discuss price and I would like to try to cut costs wherever possible....
Every job has things that we hate and need to vent about. (which I do ALL THE TIME)   This too shall pass. You will be baking soon!    Definitely use the mentality of "if it works, great, and if not, oh well NEXT!"    I'm sure others have great motivational quotes on failure and the successful. I don't, but I know there are some great ones.    Hang in there and give yourself some grace!
Ah, I see. I can't definitively say that the new changes versus the old system have been a success with only a month's evidence, but my gut tells me I am on the right track. The issue is not really my system, but the mind-reading required (anecdotal adverse effects). My crystal ball has become a little foggy lately. As Costume said, I am sensing a quickly changing tide as the new crop of brides pop up every year. She may have been observing it for years, but only in the...
I'm due in March, but my daughter was born at 34 weeks and spent some time in the NICU. Not super early, but early enough that I'm considered high risk. So the unknown of when this new baby will actually make her appearance is super fun to this Type OCD personality! So I will have a large chunk of tasting season that I can't book people. Which means that the flaky brides mean more than they usually do. Does that make sense? I offer pretty much everything you mentioned at...
 And that would be why I love you..... That's exactly how I feel. I don't suck up to anyone. And unless I'm on stage, I don't like the song-and-dance.  But everyone has a part of a job that they hate so they can get to the good part, right? 
This is not a popular option around here. I tried it for a little while, but the booking rate was not very high. Again, markets vary and I do not offer allergy-friendly options so I am not in a niche market. 5 years ago half the bakers didn't offer tastings. Now all of them do, mostly free of charge. The Bakeries offer a "pick whatever you want out of the case" option and I simply can't compete with that given my menu.  My marketing "pull" is a completely custom...
Yep, that is the big fat wall I am running into. "I want it now, but I shouldn't have to actually work at it." And some bakeries can oblige. I cannot nor will I. For the past year I have been doing a tasting evening open house type thing at a local hotel. Free of charge, a buttload of flavors, come and go as you please, I am there to answer questions and book. If they can't make it, they could do a paid private tasting. Again, I want to make sure there is a free option. 1....
Thanks everyone. You're right, I'm probably just being oversensitive right now and they've always been like this!    I've vacillated between all sorts of kinds of tastings in the years I've been in business and I really like the idea of just pulling samples from the freezer for these Baker's Choice tastings. So far I am surprised they aren't more popular and brides are still wanting to pay for custom. I always try to offer a free option so if they decide to pay for it...