Posts by jenmat

I'm the queen of tactful replies to stupid questions, so feel free to PM or ask me and I can usually come up with a good way of telling someone where they should go and make them enjoy the ride. :)   Usually I begin with acknowledging their "issue"- while I understand that you are on a tight budget and cakes can be very expensive, I am sorry to say I can't meet your price. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful!   Basically if you show that you understand their feelings,...
While I agree that you can't control what she does with the cake, I also agree that it doesn't sound like it was mishandled. The figure should have been anchored with a skewer if it was going to travel that far.    I would be refunding at least the amount of the figure, if not a bit off the cake itself. If she paid for the figure to be on the cake and it wasn't on the cake when she displayed it, then she deserves some type of compensation for that- doesn't matter if it...
See the only thing I can say to the refund issue is that as the "expert" you should know better than to use a stand that isn't sturdy.    But you've already said you aren't an expert. And you told her that too.    A small refund is in order simply because the cake was slightly leaning  and the ruffles probably weren't perfect anymore. And as a non-expert you wouldn't know how to make it all come together in the end without anyone knowing. That's why people pay for an...
First- freak out a little. Second, remove cake from said stand Third, take out my repair kit and pipe like a mad woman Fourth, Change my contract to include no customer supplied cake stands that have not been pre-approved. (which means no customer supplied cake stands.)   I deliver up to 4 hours prior, which gives me time to repair anything I need to. I also deliver chilled, so the sliding issue is almost non-existent. Only thing I may have had to deal with would be...
Never said they weren't licensed. Just underpriced. Again, there ARE decorators out there with talent, who for whatever reason, feel that if they make a little extra off their work then they are ahead and are happy. I am not one of those, but I do have to compete with them. 
My problem is not with the decorator (whether home based or storefront) who does subpar work and charges subpar pricing. Buyer Beware and all that.  If someone charges less for less quality, I say then don't come crying to me when the cake falls over or looks monkey-iced or blind-kitten iced. The customer who sees that person's work and then still orders from them was never my customer.    My problem is with the decorator who does quality work for an under-valued price....
try storing the cakes in the fridge after you're done too. Icing won't crack and buckle as much when it's chilled. 
I guess it could be different in other areas, but the whole reason some of these couples come to these events is the free samples. I do what Leah_s does- tiny slices in the sample cups. Fresher, easier to transport and stack. You have more time to talk to people if you aren't cutting samples.  Do NOT charge for samples. Also, if you did, you would have to deal with making change, receipts, sales tax (??)....ugh what a nightmare. 
First off, those parents should be ashamed. Maybe they were and they covered it with laughing it off. However, these days, who knows? My 6 year old has more self control than that, and if she didn't she would have a hard time finding something to do while grounded....   Second. Either take cakes that aren't so fragile to these shows or make sure that you have some kind of risers behind you and put the fragile pieces back there. I do a few shows every year and I am the...
My policy is that I have to protect my business. I vet customers just like customers vet me. I have spent a lot of time and effort growing my business to exactly the way I want it to be (well, for the most part!) and I am not going to risk it on anyone, no matter what they are willing to pay. I can afford to be somewhat picky on the work I take and that is one of the reasons I have my business model the way I do. (again, for the most part!)   I usually have 3 ways of...