Posts by jenmat

non skid is key, even with a small cake or one tiered. I tried having a cake on my lap once.... yeah, never again. I used Stress Free Supports in tiered cakes over 2 tiers, and I also don't assemble until I get there for weddings. Both are just personal preferences- SPS works great too, and I know plenty of people who deliver fully assembled with nary a worry.I also never box wedding cakes, just another step that can connect fingers to cake icing.
Amen, girlie. Neatness is key with design, and I love to eat fondant! I also think cakes can look and taste good at the same time.That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making wonderful, homemade, yummy cakes that just scream "eat me"But, I think the contests are for decorating rather than taste....I mean its not like you can invite us over for a slice of your cake. The contests are meant to inspire and encourage us to be better decorators. By all means, enter...
i sometimes get a little depressed seeing those other cakes because it confirms I need to up my prices ABOVE those places, not at their level. Some of those places get paid on reputation, I get that, but what passes for good work around here just makes me sick. There is no excuse for sloppy work if you're getting paid.
so it wasn't just the icing cracking? The whole cake cracked? I never use room temp cakes to stack. Do you torte?
the only time I ever gave a deposit was when the groom's fists sent the bride to the hospital all black and blue. My hubby worked with her, so he went to see her and everything. I had proof, and I figured it was a reward to her for not marrying the (insert really bad word here).Otherwise, non-refundable is non refundable, as others have said.
don't do the newspaper. Its a waste of money. Website Website Website- sink your moola there and then get the web address in the phonebook when you can. Take your time and design a nice one, like Leahs said, you aren't legit until people can look you over before they call!
This does happen quite often. Its not unusual, simply because the florist usually goes to the church or ceremony venue first and doesn't make it to the reception venue until later in the afternoon.Call the florist and coordinate the time. Then just deliver shortly before she'll arrive so that you can be there to monitor and get a picture. I usually have the brides get me their cake flowers and I do it myself. Even if they are already arranged, the brides know that no one...
things to bring:CalculatorServing ChartPrice ListContractpencil and pensketchbookbusiness cardsFolder to give them with copies of all infoEven though they don't want samples, it would be a great touch to have a small cupcake of mud cake for them to take home. This will be super fun! Just relax, and enjoy designing. You definitely have a gift, you just need to use it on a bigger scale!Best wishes!
I especially loved the bottle of wine next to the box- shoes, cake AND wine. Woot Woot!
Turn the oven down!!! You're cooking the outside before the inside even has hope of catching up, and as you realized, it is not death for cakes, but terrible for your cuppies. Maybe even lower it to 315? I never bake above 320. Even big cakes.