Posts by jenmat

was it cold? Bavarian cream is as slippery as fresh fruit!!! Looks like the outer buttercream and fondant layers collapsed under all the travel and vibrations and if it was room temp, the cream and layers all shifted. It was doomed. 
Because we are often contacted by brides who use the internet and Pinterest to find either inspiration and replication. And while we can choose to say no, there will be someone who says yes. 
Good grief. And this is a great reminder why I limit my responses on the internet. Doesn't take much.   For the record, I have an excellent immune system and I also happen to have my off season coincide with cold and flu season. So I've never had to experience what the OP was describing OR Ebola, if ya'll are worried about that. I DO get burns, neck stingers, shoulder swelling, sore legs, sore knees, headaches and cramps and DO power through those every day. And yes,...
I've been in business for going on 7 years and in all those 7 years I've never gotten so sick I can't work. You just power through. that said, I have backups that can help me. Once I burned my hand (palm) so badly that I had to go to the emergency room and have it in a wrap for a week. Having helpers be my hands was a huge blessing.  All that said, for an 8" birthday cake, I would probably back out. I do weddings, and there is no backing out of those. If you think you'll...
so was this chilled before putting together and chilled before icing it? Looks like a temp problem maybe. 
You can use that for yourself as a guide on what to charge, but no way am I showing that to a customer.   I can just imagine the conversation...."Can I reduce the snowflakes? Where is the piping? I don't NEED the ribbon around the base if it costs that much!"    Like I said, probably a good idea to breakdown things like that before you bid it out, but there is no need to give the customer that much power. 
they used a gold disco dust with highlighter, I would imagine. Neither are edible. But some people don't care since they are non-toxic. I have painted gold dust with everclear on chilled IMBC and it worked surprisingly well. But you won't get the glitter without, well...glitter. 
Yes, I have one freezerless fridge, I think we got it from Sears. The other is a traditional 2 door upright with the freezer on top.  Check the depth of the freezerless. Some of them have a bumpout on the bottom that makes it really hard to get bigger cakes in and then you can only use the top half. We were able to unscrew all the shelving in the door and take off the bumpout so we have a little more room now. But it still narrows at the bottom. 
I'm with this. It's really not that much more time, and if a design is a cascade of flowers, there is no way there will be a pre-arranged cascade to place. So you would know that ahead of time that there will be loose flowers. If you feel you need to charge, then I would do a case-by-case. If they want a cascade, you tell them that there is a charge to place them and that you are the only one who can do it. Oh and I hate hate hate the prearranged toppers- they are always...
I "wing" it. Never was able to get the "using board as a guide" thing, although it totally makes sense. I could easily use the scalloped edge and not have to cut them away. I use 3 waxed cardboards glue-gunned together. I like the height and the sturdiness It offers.    Always use your home base for everything you can possibly do. Working in unexpected conditions spells disaster unless you are used to making magic with mud.  I would next time make the cake tiers, set...