Posts by jenmat

Totally agree. Use the weather to your advantage. I wouldn't want my cake to sit out overnight in a hot hotel room either. Not saying Leahs isn't right (she usually is!), just I don't use crusting buttercream. 
Can't imagine floating a car!!! We had a tornado go through our backyard 2 years ago. Literally our backyard. Took out our treehouse and part of the woods behind us. Power too. Luckily it was a Tuesday and we ran and bought a small generator for the fridges. Power company was my hero when they got the power on by 3pm later that day. Our dream is to have a wired generator in the house, but man not sure if that will ever happen. I have backup plans galore if something...
I am NOT offended in the slightest. I am a businesswoman and I have a thicker skin than that! I asked for thoughts and feedback and I appreciate ALL OF IT. No sugar coating needed, the harsher the better!  And THANK YOU! both for your opinion and feedback on my work!  My scenario based on the wording in my original contract seems to say that if a tornado hit near the venue and I couldn't deliver the cake to the venue, then I should have to refund their money. Even if like...
Ok, I appreciate that feedback. I should know this, and I try to CMA at all times, but I've been on the fence about this section for a few years. And like you said, the worst possible client scenario...I haven't had very many of those because I have very good radar. But eventually someone is going to get through the filter and then I want to be covered. Will amend. 
I hear that. I do. But I have been told several times that my original wording accepted all responsibility and was way too one sided: Cakescapes shall not be held liable for any unforeseeable delay or inability to deliver and its obligation to perform will be modified to the extent necessary based on: accidents; natural disasters; unforeseen transportation problems the day of delivery; inclement weather that prohibits travel; illness, hospitalization, or death in the...
Ooh, I like the last part about the cake already being completed.    I just have had a problem with the full refund thing if the circumstance was caused by something out of my hands completely. I'd like to handle it case-by-case. A tree falls on the bakery- that's a full refund. Venue burns down or something, then no refund by me- that would be the venue insurance.  I'm being too nit-picky, am I not? Lol.    K8- I like the idea of shortening it. Maybe I will do that....
I'm amending my contract in off season and before this weekend's show. My wording used to include the fact that I will refund all monies if the below issues happen. But I have always felt that this was way too harsh on me- if the venue burns down, how is that on me?  So I changed the wording (see underlined part). I know it's vague, but I'm kind of liking the vagueness. Implying that we will discuss it after the event and agree on a refund if one is due.  Thoughts?...
All this. And I have a show this weekend too.I made 11 dummies. But I'm OCD and LOVE making dummies because I get to play and interpret the current styles into MY style.I use the lidded cups too. PITA beforehand, but oh so nice when you get to talk top people instead of reloading or trying to make sure they don't dry out. Plus feeding vendors is way easier. I also do a show special, but it expires Feb 15th.Plan to make time available for tastings in the next few weeks. I...
The apology is fine, except for pulling the flavor. Why would you do that? If you thought it was great, then saying you're pulling the flavor is admitting that you feel it was sub-par. It also gives them the thought that maybe you should have given a full refund.    Unless you DID feel you need to tweak it more, then don't pull it. You can't make a mud cake have the taste and texture of a box mix no matter how much you tweak it anyway. 
I wouldn't charge extra for the sprinkles. But for the tinted batter? Oh heck yes. I think that's nasty anyway, but I'm weird about food color.