Posts by jenmat

Alls well that ends well...she took what I offered gladly. This was a great lesson for me- even after years and years I still need to check my contract for holes!  This is what I sent her (and yes, I said gesture of goodwill TWICE! Can't believe I didn't catch that!)   Well, the deposit is actually nonrefundable, so it isn't something I can credit you. But as a gesture of goodwill, I'd be happy to do a dozen cupcakes or an 8" cake of your choice as a gesture of good...
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, I figured I was on the right track.    This bride is an out of towner, so as far as referrals, I highly doubt it. BUT that doesn't mean she can't blast me somewhere, nor does it mean I want to leave her with a bad taste in her mouth, so to speak.    I have adjusted the contract I have to say that the deposit is non refundable and nontransferable, so in the future, that should cover me, right?    I'm going to play this as "well,...
Hey all~ So I have a bride who was booked for Jan 24th. 2 weeks ago she cancelled her wedding. She paid a $50 deposit/retainer. This locks in the date and comes off the price of the cake.   Yesterday I got an email saying that while she cancelled her cake, she would "hate for her deposit to go to waste" and would like to cash it in for a cake or cupcakes. She was nice about it.   My contract states that if you cancel 30 days prior to the wedding, all monies minus the...
I have lots and lots of different storage containers and systems, but my favorite is my cheapest. I hung a shoe organizer next to my baking area and in the pockets I put all my spatulas, scissors, spoons and smoothers. And when it gets dirty I just throw it in the wash. 
Ugh, I hate when that happens. Now I just wasted 7 minutes! lol
Call the venue. You will get a more unbiased opinion. I use Stress Free, and I do occasionally (about 1/60 weddings) have return issues, but that is what a deposit is for. I still use them because they are, well, stress free (for me).     But I've never had a cake lean when using them, to me that is puzzling. Unless you didn't level the support before you put it in, I don't see how it could really happen and be noticeable. Maybe the rosettes on top weren't perfectly...
I have dealt with this issue in the past. I was doing a ton of weddings, but some of the cakes were little two tiers and because of deliveries and setup timing I had to turn down huge weddings. Totally stunk.    Not a ton you can do to guarantee that someone better won't come along, but I did set a minimum. In some ways it has helped because I can weed out high-maintenence low-pricetag brides, but it still doesn't cure it completely. I am also one of the only ones in the...
Why not email Cotton and Crumbs and asked them what they used? It would be worth a try. Just make it clear where you are and that you can no way compete with them. You never know, I've done that with several top decorators in the US and they do answer. 
was it cold? Bavarian cream is as slippery as fresh fruit!!! Looks like the outer buttercream and fondant layers collapsed under all the travel and vibrations and if it was room temp, the cream and layers all shifted. It was doomed. 
Because we are often contacted by brides who use the internet and Pinterest to find either inspiration and replication. And while we can choose to say no, there will be someone who says yes.