Posts by lomfise

Thanks all for your help, I knew I could get help here The square boards would help a lot, but I don't think the bride will care for square boards. I don't know if I even want to suggest it, because she has taken two months to decide on what colour she want the buttercream to be, imagine how long it would take for her to decide if square would be all right I like the idea of using wood, at least for the base, and I might talk my father in to helping me with this - I...
In about five weeks I am making a cupcake stand for a former colleague's wedding. There will be about 75 cupcakes, and a 6" cutting cake on top. I am to provide the stand for the cupcakes, and have been looking around the internet for ideas on how to do this. I think I know how to do it with cake boards and some kind of separator in between the boards. My worry is however, that because there are so many cupcakes, there will have to be 6 tiers which makes it quite high,...
I use the buttercream recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook, and it says that if you just keep whipping, the buttercream will become more white. Something like 5-10 minutes, and it will also make the buttercream lighter. It does work, in my opinion at least. Not the bright white of a piece of paper, but definitely not cream. HTH ETA: There is no shortening in this recipe, only unsalted butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
I think in your situation, I would first tell the callers what other posters have mentioned, that your cakes or customized for each customer, that the cakes are better quality and then offer them a taste sample. I'm thinking that tasting one of your cakes would make people want to pay more. Maybe not the first time, but after having tasted the Wallmart cake they will return to you for their next cake. And then tell their friends and family that your cakes are better. And...
Uhm... What? My first response when reading this was a deep frown and then a bark of laughter. Is she serious? Cupcakes can be sooo cute, when done right.
The lady I talked to told me that in the future they would require two photos of the entry, but from different angles. I think that's a good way to avoid cheaters. And I completely agree with your last statement NO MORE CAKE FOR CHEATERS
Here's the update;: it was a mistake I've just talked to the person behind the mail on the phone and she was very apologizing and sorry. She'd seen my picture on Flickr and hadn't realised it was the same person. She was writing an apology to me as I called her and has put my picture back in the competition, so fingers crossed She told me that they had had a lot of contributions that people had found on American and Australian websites and submitted as their own ...
Thank you all for your lovely comments and support, it means the world to me. floral1210: The sheep were inspired by cupcakes seen here and on Flickr, and the bunnies and chickens were my own idea. I made all of the decorations, ears, eyes, heads, beeks and so on, myself. And the mail had my name on it so I don't think it was meant for someone else. As to the originality of the design, it's an amateur competition and about 90% of the other contributions look the same so I...
I had that thought, but as I live in Denmark where CC isn't very well known, I doubt it. And even if this is the explanation, I think she should have asked instead of just removing my photo from the competition. That is really what irritates me the most
Here's the story; a baking supply firm here is having a large cupcake competition (tv-adds, internet banners and everything) with the price being a trip for 2 to New York. I've never been to New York and so entered the competition with my easter cupcakes (it's in my gallery). A few days later I had en e-mail from the firm asking for my permission to use my photo for marketing purposes which I gave, of course. Then today I check my mail and find another mail stating that my...