Posts by mcaulir

You can't do that yet - I just got semi-good at the sharp edged thing. Or I thought I had until a friend whose wedding cake I'm doing in November brought me  Faye Cahill photo that she loved. But she didn't like this part of the design, or that part. Eventually I asked her what she liked about it. She liked how the edges were super sharp. So I had to explain that I was me and not Faye Cahill, and I'd do my best, but the edges might not be quite as good. But that's...
I try to freeze all my cakes. On the odd occasion I'm running behind and have to use a fresh one, I find them a lot crumblier and harder to deal with. I don't work with frozen cake though. I always let mine defrost fully before doing anything with them. Mine are too solid to work with frozen, and I find the condensation on the icing annoying if I try to frost a cold cake.
 Is this the crux of it? I like having my ego stroked when I get lovely compliments on a cake I've done. But for me, the stress and mess and as you say, the kids in front of the TV for hours at a time is less and less worth the ego stroking. I have trouble saying no, too. I try to remember that people will get their cake somewhere else if I don't make it. I'm not ruining their party if I can't make the a cake. I'm not responsible for making the cake of anyone who asks. You...
All jobs have perks and downsides.   Caking has weekend work as one of its downsides. Pesky people want to eat cake at their celebrations on the weekends. It's not really something that you can avoid.   Which is why when people say to me, 'Why aren't you selling these as a job?' I say, "Because I want all my weekends free."   I don't do it for money, and there's no way I would ever consider that. Not only would it ruin my enjoyment of my hobby, I couldn't cope with...
Haven't I been reading these posts for years now? Why are people still buying subscriptions?
CMC is tylose powder. It's easily ordered at any cake decorating supply place. I've had supplies arrive at my house in small town Australia 24 hours after having ordered them.
 Well, it would be rude to 'force' anyone to eat anything. But there's a difference between providing food that people wouldn't ordinarily eat (meat to a vegetarian) and not providing something people do ordinarily eat (vegan food to omnivores). It's one meal. I'm the meatiest meat eater around, and I'm sure I could do without for one meal. I'm sure I could enjoy vegan food for one meal. Why would you want to ask people who you presumedly care about if you're attending...
Like this?   http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3126C1-475A-BAC0-558831739D8D967C
Oh, good luck then!
Can I suggest covering the dummy with fondant first and then attaching the frills to that. Dummies are quite slippery when you put gum glue on them. And definitely add some tylose to your fondant.