Posts by debm1

Sweettales, Your kitchen looks amazing! The ground floor access will be wonderful!
It's working right now... http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeCentralOffer.aspx
Hi, Sophymalik, It took about a month to do. We had to build 3 walls, close in the stairway, and create a hall at the bottom of the steps (just because I don't want customers to see the rest of the basement, not because I had to make the hall). Then there was lighting/electrical, plumbing, etc... I put in a grease trap (to save our sand mound/septic system), and I had to have a pump installed to move the waste water UP several feet to the sewer line. We hired a...
I just got the cakeboss software a few weeks ago. It is a fabulous tool. You also get 10% off if you are a cake central member. Here is the link: http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeCentralOffer.aspx
I would say that, first, you have to decide what kind of baking you are planning to do. Are you planning to sell lots of everyday cakes, like would be found in a walk-in shop? Will you be making mostly custom orders like decorated birthday and wedding cakes? If you don't plan on having regular hours where folks can just drop in, I would lean to the home-based commercial kitchen. For the record, I just became an official, inspected, commercial kitchen (in my basement) a...
Thank-you all so much! I got my triple sink, and SS Tables FREE. That saved a lot of money. I bought my cabinets (used) on Craigslist. It was still expensive, but when you compare start-up costs with someone who is running a cake business with a storefront and rental space, this was very affordable. Still, I have a 10,000 loan, and that is plenty. I had to build the 2nd kitchen since I have 2 labrador retrievers. If I had no animals, I could have had a cake business, but...
Thank-you to everybody for your ideas. Yesterday, I became an officially legal kitchen for my cakes! YAYYYY! Here is my new kitchen (most of it). It also includes a mini office area )for computer work, TV, edible printing), shelving, etc... Now, to start!!!
I say keep them. Those plates and pillars could also be covered in fondant/gum paste/modeling chocolate for a whole new look. I think it is worth hauling a couple boxes around. You might have to hide them from your husband, though. :)
The craftsy classes are great! Sometimes I am relieved that I had figured something out the right way on my own... and then sometimes I learn a whole other way of doing something that might actually save me time in the future... Then there are some new things that I am just so glad to learn. For all of us "learning hands on" folks, these craftsy classes are great! AND... the teachers are top shelf!Thanks, Craftsy!
Thanks for the ideas! The rolling rack is on my wish list. The kitchen is built in our basement at home. As far a a photo area, I plan to use the airbrush corner or the back wall (whichever area works best, and have a curtain rod-type thing that I can drape different pieces (whatever color is desired) of material for the background. Alot of my tools, molds, etc. are already in rolling carts. I'm not crazy about a $10,000 loan, but if the cakes I've been turning down from...