Posts by pursuing_perfection

Describe "awful". Did it all ooze out?Without having all the details, all I can say is:- make sure you have a stiff icing dam around the edges of the cake as you fill each layer.- use a thick chocolate fudge (you can MW to soften and spread, but if you do this, let it harden before stacking the next layer on)
Lime green and brown would make a nice color scheme. If you wanted more color, than add small amounts of a medium pink and medium blue (covers whatever sex the baby is). If you do add color, either match the intensity of the lime green, or do lighter and darker shades of the lime green. Using stripes and dots is contemporary and uni-sex (stay away from flowers). There are tons of ideas on CC if you want to add additional fondant accents such as a soother, rattle,...
Tell her that you get what you pay for! She could get a generic sheet cake at the local supermarket, but it wouldn't taste as good, would probably be poorly decorated, and wouldn't be anything like what she is asking for. If you want a custom-designed, well-decorated cake, it is going to cost! I recently made a cake for a shower that cost me over $50.00 to make (and that was just for ingredients!). Then there is the 20+ hours to bake and decorate. I have not gone into...
I never thought that fondant could be mistaken for plastic explosives! It was funny to read about, but probably not so funny to experience. Thanks for the tip - I have taken fondant on long trips to see family before, but we have been driving lately. (Good thing).
I had agreed to make a 3-D Hot Air Balloon Cake for a Bridal Shower (the couple had gotten engaged in a hot air balloon just outside of Paris). Well, I searched CC and asked a few questions, but obviously not enough questions! Since I couldn't arrange for a stand to be welded as DOUG suggested (would have worked the best), I came up with a different plan:I used a dowel all the way through the center of the bottom two tiers and up into the balloon basket. Then I used...
Thanks for the link Cherrycakes. I would like to see some pictures of the Gerberas you made.
Thanks Doug! When I find a welder, I will do this cake again, more to scale.Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions for this cake. It evolved a bit from the original plan, but with the help of CC'ers I was able to pull it off. The bride-and-groom-to-be loved it. I ended up using rice krispie cake for just the bottom half of the balloon. It was firm enough to hold the dowels in place and support the cake top. I assembled it on site and when I tried to wrap my fondant rope...
Okay. SO, I just figured out that you can click on the "photo" icon at the bottom of this post and see my cake. Cool! Now I am looking at everyone's cakes who has posted replies. Great feature.
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions for this cake. It evolved a bit from the original plan, but with the help of CC'ers I was able to pull it off. The bride-and-groom-to-be loved it.I ended up using rice krispie cake for just the bottom half of the balloon. It was firm enough to hold the dowels in place and support the cake top. I assembled it on site and when I tried to wrap my fondant rope around the dowels, the "rope" broke. (I guess it had dried out a little...
I like your idea of using old newspapers. Why don't you use pages from old newspapers (original or copied) and cover your cake board with them. Then use food-safe basket wrap to cover the papers and your cake board.Or you could photocopy individual pictures of the grad class, and use them to make a border on your cake board (under the basket wrap of course).I don't remember 50 years ago (I wasn't born yet! ). But you could also use fondant or sugar paste to re-create...