Posts by TheCakeDude

Id suggest either small cake dummy wedges it between each tier and secured well, or the Wilton 5 tier cupcake/cake stand that has an internal support.   http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Towering-Tiers-Cake-Stand/dp/B004JMZH4Y/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1352393100&sr=8-19&keywords=wilton+cupcake+stand
Ive had this problem before, and never found a solution. I started thinking maybe i didnt melt the chocolate thoroughly, but I think its more science-y than that....Maybe the chocolate is crystallizing? I dunno....Somebody help us! :)
This one looks like the one I used. May not work in small designs, as the motor is about 3" x 5" or so, but it is heavy duty so you dont have to worry about the weight buckling the motor!   http://www.amazon.com/Ace-BBQ-480940-Grillmark-Rotisserie-Motor/dp/B003CHAKF8
Go to a local hardware store, and look for a small airbrush kit. I found a kit for like 60 bucks, included a compressor, hoses, airbrush gun with a few cups, etc. It isnt made for cake decorating, so you have to make sure the pressure is low, but itll work until youre ready to upgrade. Then the compressor can still be used with any gun. FYI, the "kopykake" style gun is kinda crappy. Not adjustable, small color cup. If youre gonna spend money on one, go with the Aztek...
Looks like your cutting em by hand!!! Or just trim your cake down a tad....
Push for sitting, as they are much easier to support! Just keep in mind his big belly, flashy white suit, and big ol aviator sunglasses, which cover much of the face. Give him a curly lick of hair in front to finish it off! If he's sitting down, a single skewer can be used for support. If standing, you'll have to make a wire frame. HTH!
Hey All, Just made this exorcist themed cake last weekend, and I wanted to share with you how I made the motorized element, in case anyone needs something to spin in the future. Its actually quite genius, its an add-on rotisserie motor for a barbecue! Its a small motor with a removable square rod that spins slowly, and can hold lots of weight! It plugs in, so you do have to worry about that, but then it can be left on for hours! It would need to be slightly adapted for...
The BEST airbrush is the Aztek, Roland Winbeckler model. Its a pricey gun, but works with any compressor. I bought an airbrush compressor from a local hardware store, only maybe 30 bucks, and the gun does the rest. It comes with several interchangeable nozzles, color cups, and is quickly adjustable on color flow to pressure ratio. Perfect for getting in close with low pressure. Also, the cup swivels and has an easily removable lid, so no spills when working at crazy...
I agree with Shirley, it only seems to happen to me when I airbrush a cake that has sat in the fridge for more that a couple hours. Ive always though the condensation had something to do with it? Not sure though....
I use Lucks brand pearl airbrush color, and it works pretty well. I do notice a bit of clogging after extended use, but not with I'll effect. I mix it with black or yellow/brown often for a quick silver or gold. I use an Aztek airbrush, which is super easy to clean with removable nozzles...not sure if that affects it in any way...