Posts by cs_confections

Hi everyone! Long time, no see! Have been on a cake hiatus for about a year due to health and will be making a topsy turvy next week for my Aunt's surprise 50th birthday party. We have family flying in and I really don't want a cake mishap and need some help.When I made my last cake (my first topsy turvy), it was around the time Betty Crocker was first changing their sizes and I used the original size with the Durable for 3D recipe on this site. It work beautifully. Has...
Still have never sold a cake (before due to law, now on decorating hiatus due to health), but I bought it a few years ago to help track the cost of my hobby and practice using it for "some day". Even then, it saved me money - made me realize just how much we paid out in money and time and made us realize I had to cut back on how many I did. It's already paid for itself several times over - and I've never taken any money for ingredients or time. Definitely a must have if...
Gee, go figure Anyway, yes, there are plenty of places for reviews. While our term is min. one month and we don't give refunds for cancellations during the first month - we also don't charge security deposits, admin fees, make them buy a lock, etc. Other places that charge all of the extra fees have a way to recoup their lost time and even possibly enough to cover the cost of the rental they're now missing out on.Kind of like how some bakers charge for the tasting and...
It's at the top right of the box that pops up when you've hovered over the word. Once you click on on the ?, you'll have to click on the far right tab (can't remember what it said, already disabled mine), then click on the disable link. Then you're done!
Don't use Duff's for items you need to harden. Even with adding tylose, it won't get as hard as Satin Ice. Duff's is repackaged Fondarific, which I love for covering cakes - but it's awful at decorations you need to harden. It's made up differently and is more of a candy/chocolate type covering - while it will harden slightly when left out, it really reacts to temperature. When cold, it's very firm and when warm, it can resoften and even get melty.Satin Ice with tylose...
If you haven't done a topsy turvy before, I'd suggest at least using ganache with fondant accents for your first. It really does help with the stability.
I agree with CWR41. It bothered me, but I understand why they'd want to try it out. Now that we know how to disable it, it's an easy solution for those who don't care for it. Quick and easy to disable!
http://cbsop.com/recipes/peppermint-bark-hearts/But since you're making mini cupcakes, try to find the smallest candy canes out there. You may have to order online. If the small ones sold in the grocery store are as small as they get, I think these may be too big for minis and more ideal for regular cupcakes.
Now I'm a chocolate lover and even I admit this cake is surprisingly good and really tastes like Christmas! http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/candy-cane-cake/852a3d2d-48a7-47ae-8313-9f749bd8cb24Top with a little dollop of your favorite plain buttercream. It only needs a little and I think making it a peppermint buttercream would be overkill. Or just make the frosting the recipe suggests and maybe dip the mini cupcakes in it.I just had another idea for decoration! Make...
A pretty easy decoration could be fondant holly leaves and berries. You could even make them ahead of time. Maybe with a shiny red or green wrapper to match.For flavor, my family loves the pepermint cake (box mix recipe). Even when I want to try something new, hubby and a few others insist on that one. To turn it into cupcakes, I would put the white cake batter in the liners. Then, using a dropper, insert a small squirt of the red pepperment batter in the middle of each....