Posts by Evoir

One in my inbox late this afternoon (a website enquiry notification):   Hello, I am just enquiring about your cakes, I just want to ask a few questions. Its my boyfriends birthday tomorrow and I was wondering do you have cakes already made in the shop for take away? Also what's the standard price for a chocolate cake? Thank you, xxxxxxx.   *sigh* To top it off, I then noticed the email address of the customer is a UK addy! If this person had spent longer than...
Chelle - do you do classes from your home cake studio or somewhere in commercial premises? How big are your classes? I'd love to teach again, there are remarkably few GOOD teachers in my area, and I miss teaching a lot.   I had one lovely wedding cake this weekend. I really enjoy the weeks when I have only one wedding, and I can spend more time fiddling with it. I was really happy with how it turned out, despite it not being one of my usual tier shapes - It was a...
BatterUp - that man sure is talented!!! Awesome cake stand. I can see the attraction ;-)
AZCouture - my feelings exactly. I sit there just shaking my head when I read some of the customer-bashing that goes on. Its probably good for the established and well-regarded decorators out there providing excellent customer service, however. I know I personally still have to turn away many more cake orders than I can possibly ever take on. Word gets around, both ways.   I suspected you would have similar thoughts re: my long post. I am just floating around on the...
I make my full rose blooms on wires (18 gauge), and only use GP rose cones. When the rose is done I wrap the wires from the cone and outer petals into a thick strand covered with parafilm, and insert into a straw if its going to stick into the cake. Plug the end with fondant if you need to, and stick directly into the cake.   Another shortcut is to build you rose onto a cocktail stick, and then insert the cocktail stick with rose whever you want it on the...
And there is no way to 'pipe' a gold, shiny colour like that.
MBalaska - I hope I just don't sound too opinionated! I would not have spent my valuable time answering the OPs thread questions if I did not think she was trying to better herself. Like AZCouture said, too many newer cakers get highly defensive when things go wrong, whereas I see this as a truly valuable learning experience. I run my business like I would like to be treated myself. IMO, If we are super-professional in our business dealings, we distance ourselves from...
Jenndelisle. It is an unfortunate experience for sure, and I am sorry to see your lovely cake didn't survive until the reception. I think the take-home from this is: Use more dowels or a different support system (I don't use SPS here in Australia because I would have to import it and it would be heinously expensive, which is why I will remain a devout "slippery twig" user, and bubble tea straw user). As you have already said, you'll be using the SPS, so that is...
Also, if you haven't already, try making your own marzipan. I can't stand the commercial stuff, but my own home-made one is so divinely delicious!   I also apply it in the upside-down method, including a sausage around the top/bottom edge (ie the part ending up at the base of the tier).
If you are in South Africa, bear in mind what types of cakes your GF makes mostly. Are they your typical American-style butter cakes with butter cream icing? If this is the case, get a larger mixer, as good as you can afford.   If she makes mostly mud cakes, with ganache and fondant, she would probably be able to get by with a smaller mixer, like the Artisan (KA). If its anything like Australia, you pay a premium for the 220-240 Volt versions of the KAs. I paid $800+...