Posts by Evoir

And there is no way to 'pipe' a gold, shiny colour like that.
MBalaska - I hope I just don't sound too opinionated! I would not have spent my valuable time answering the OPs thread questions if I did not think she was trying to better herself. Like AZCouture said, too many newer cakers get highly defensive when things go wrong, whereas I see this as a truly valuable learning experience. I run my business like I would like to be treated myself. IMO, If we are super-professional in our business dealings, we distance ourselves from...
Jenndelisle. It is an unfortunate experience for sure, and I am sorry to see your lovely cake didn't survive until the reception. I think the take-home from this is: Use more dowels or a different support system (I don't use SPS here in Australia because I would have to import it and it would be heinously expensive, which is why I will remain a devout "slippery twig" user, and bubble tea straw user). As you have already said, you'll be using the SPS, so that is...
Also, if you haven't already, try making your own marzipan. I can't stand the commercial stuff, but my own home-made one is so divinely delicious!   I also apply it in the upside-down method, including a sausage around the top/bottom edge (ie the part ending up at the base of the tier).
If you are in South Africa, bear in mind what types of cakes your GF makes mostly. Are they your typical American-style butter cakes with butter cream icing? If this is the case, get a larger mixer, as good as you can afford.   If she makes mostly mud cakes, with ganache and fondant, she would probably be able to get by with a smaller mixer, like the Artisan (KA). If its anything like Australia, you pay a premium for the 220-240 Volt versions of the KAs. I paid $800+...
Hi there, welcome to Cake Central.   Its great you have some photos of the cake post-crash.   I believe your 12" tier supports were insufficient, and/or unevenly cut. There is every chance the table was shoved from the front causing the backward movement of the cake to occur, and hence initiate the collapse at the rear of the 12". But this is something that you CANNOT blame on anyone, because you do not have evidence.   For cakes this size, I would have had...
I think any gem mould would have the right shapes...just find the right sizes you need. Try First IMpressions, or CK moulds.
To me it looks like they have used gumpaste in a Gems mould - using tear drop shapes and oval shapes to get the pattern. You can dust/paint with luster to get a shiny effect. They appear to have used sugar pearls or piped royal icing for the round dots also.
I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis.   Being practical here (as a person who also suffers from a chronic, incurable illness - though not fatal), have you thought about your ability to work effectively given the progression of your illness? This will affect who you direct your services to, and thus your marketing efforts.   Given that many larger events like weddings have a longer lead time (I am booking weddings for the end of 2014 now), you may find your...
This brand stocks the higher wall ones.     http://www.confeta.com.au/bakingcups.htm