Posts by Marianna46

There are also tons of Art Deco posts on Pinterest. If you want really dark maroon and turquoise for the cake, the best way to go is airbrushing. I have one, but I shy away from it. One of these days I'm going to get really good at it and go to town, but if you're not already into it, I figure there must be a hefty learning curve. However, I just recently discovered that you can paint with airbrush paint using watercolor brushes. That might do the trick for small fondant...
Not to hijack this thread, but icer101, could you tell me how you make your pastillage? The consistency of the stuff I'm using will barely let me roll it out and cut it. Modeling with it seems to be an impossibility. I actually like working with it quite a lot, and would love to be able to do more things with it, if only it had a little more give. I have to say I'm very excited, because I'm moving into a new house in a couple of months that is totally air-conditioned -...
I accidentally left a wad of fondant out about 10 days ago. It's so humid here that when I found it yestarday, it was as moist as when I took it out of the bucket. So, of course, I use pure gumpaste, which actually won't get totally dry here, either. When the design lends itself to pastillage (it's not very scuptable, but it can be cut), I use that. It's the only thing I've found that will actually harden in this climate.
That powder was luster dust, but it's nowhere near as shiny as the gold leaf in the photo from the OP. And, yes, it's very expensive, but not because it has gold in it. Unfortunately, all luster dusts are expensive, no matter what the color. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it goes a fairly long way.
As far as I know, there is no such thing as shiny gold icing. You either use edible gold leaf or paint your fondant with gold airbrush paint or with gold luster dust suspended in a little vodka. But if somebody knows something I don't (not a particularly far-fetched proposition!), please let us know.
I agree with BakingIrene (as always!) about the consistency of the icing and the fact that nobody (on our side of the Pacific) uses royal icing on cupcakes, although there is a lovely boiled meringue icing (my mom called it 7-minute icing) that would work nicely. Buttercream or cream cheese frosting works best and it needs to be a little bit thick - able to hold a peak, as BakingIrene says - for it to work on a cupcake. Just one other thing: when making royal icing,...
The expiration date on the commercial fondants I've bought is at least a year from my purchase date. I've had fondant pass its "best-by" date and I've used it to cover dummy cakes for practice, so if it goes over, it's not a total waste. To be perfectly honest, I've tried pieces of this left-over fondant that's as much as two years old (from a recenly-opened container, it hasn't been out for two years) and I find that it tastes just the same, has the same consistency and...
I agree that Fondarific is the best-tasting one. Another really tasty one, albeit a little more expensive, is Carma Massa Ticino, imported by Albert Ulster (I think). It's very workable. I live in the tropics, so I know a lot about hot kitchens. My solution to the fondant-running-down-the-sides-of-the-cake problem is to add a little shortening (I have no idea why this helps, but it does - about 2 tablespoons per pound of fondant) and some powdered sugar to make my...
You might also want to reword your policies along the lines of "A non-refundable deposit of [you decide the amount or percentage] is due [you decide how long] before the date of delivery. The remaining amount is due [x number of weeks] before the date.". Everybody's right about being as specific as possible about EVERY LITTLE THING YOU CAN THINK OF in a cake contract. Otherwise, sooner or later, it will all come back to bite you in the you-know-where.
Another trick for filling bags is to put the bag in a very large glass or a small, cylindrical pitcher and folding the top of the back over the edge of the glass or pitcher. Then you have both hands free to guide the icing into the bag. After icing everything but the cake while trying to fill my pastry bags, I decided that was a good thing to do!