Posts by tashistation

I think people are less and less inclined to handle business by phone these days. I find that the majority of my business transactions are done completely by email.
If you don't make it too far ahead, I don't see why it needs to be refrigerated to protect the pregnant ladies. the egg whites shouldn't be an issue since they are cooked with the sugar before whipping right? Can you frost the night before, put in fridge to settle, then morning of party cover with fondant and decorate?
I'm not trying to be snarky when I ask: How do you know all these people who approach you just want to "hang around" and get all your trade secrets and then leave? I'm in my late 30s and am making a career change from corporate marketing to custom cakes and desserts. I am not going to go to culinary school but I don't think that makes me any less hard-working than someone who has a mandatory culinary school externship to fulfill. I have cold-called and worked for a few...
I molded it into the hole. Next time I will try cutting it away. Do you cut it right at the top of the hole or a little bit inside?thanks!!
Hmmm... this was my 3rd tub of fondx and I didn't have this problem before. I still have half a tub left, I'm going to save it for a day where the heater isn't blasting and see if that makes a difference...
So I did my first TT cake using the cutout method in Janelle's video. You can see other views of the cake in my photos, it's the most recent upload with a Thomas Train coming out of a tunnel. I had some problems and am hoping you guys can help. The top tier appears to be "sitting" inside the bottom tier, instead of having the illusion of resting on top of it. There is a slight billowy/pillowy edge where the two cakes meet, and I think it breaks the illusion that the...
It was a brand new tub of FondX
I just got the latest issue of The Knot's magazine and on pages 58-59 they show two sort of similar cakes and describe why one is $13 a slice and one is $8 a slice. Refreshing change! Unfortunately most of the other cakes in the magazine have no price.
that has got to be another cake designer sniffing around for pricing or wanting to see how you would respond. I don't think a "civilian" wouldn't describe the cake like that "6 inch round, 8 inch square" etc...
Yes do you mean $150 surcharge for the flowers and leaves? That I could understand. I would say that is a $500 cake + the price of the gumpaste decorations, so about $650-700 total. How many servings was it?