Posts by cupadeecakes

Oh, I HATE coloring fondant!  I keep fondant in most of the base colors (white, black, red, blue, yellow), but I have been known to order a specialty color if I need a lot of it (like baby pink or tiffany blue).  Otherwise I just mix it up.
Honestly, the baking of the cakes is probably the simplest, least time-consuming part of the cake making process. So if I was in your situation, it wouldn't change the price that much really at all.  You still have to be paid to get there (you also should be compensated for all the other work you would miss) and to decorate the cake.  And I wouldn't really even consider decorating someone else's cake.  I know the cakes and icings I make like a dear old friend - I know...
I love modeling chocolate! There is a Craftsy class on it that I highly recommend for beginners (of the medium). I have had TERRIBLE luck with using edible markers on modeling chocolate when you are going to put the cake in the Refridgerator. It has run, dripped and looked terrible when you take it out and it gets condensation (an hour or so out). I will not use the pens again for this reason. Good luck!
I keep all my cakes in the fridge - fondant and buttercream.  And they will sweat when I take them out.  Just don't touch the cake and it should dry out in about an hour (maybe less).  I haven't tried the new Wilton fondant and I didn't realize the old Wilton fondant didn't sweat.
If the cake is properly supported, the cake beneath shouldn't be carrying any of the load of the cake on top, so theoretically a stacked cake should be able to be held indefinitely.  I deliver all of my cakes stacked - I use bubble tea straws for support and a center dowel rod for any tiered cake.  And I always refrigerate and travel with the cake cold.   I know this info is coming to you later than you need it, so I hope everything goes (or went) well for you!
The most important parts of making a shoe cake is having a good image / impression of the bottom of the shoe (the footprint, literally), and the side view or profile of the shoe.  Print these out to the size you want your cake to be, making sure that both are scaled appropriately.  Basically this means that if the footprint is 10 inches long, make sure the profile is 10 inches long.  I start my laying the footprint on top of the cake and cutting the entire cake to match...
I've had both - I burned through 2 Epsons in about a year and a half - I have had one Canon for about 2 years now and it's still going strong.  I wouldn't get another Epson, but that's just been my experience.  YMMV.
A long time ago I got a real deal on some of the Cricut Cake mats, so I bought several 12x12 and 12x24 mats.  I use mine ALL the time and I have never thrown away or retired any of my mats.  Some of them are scored and scarred with the cuts from 100's of other jobs and they still work just fine.
I don't have a lot of pickups, but when I do, I remove it from the fridge maybe 5 minutes before I expect them to arrive.  I always warn them about the condensation and instruct them not to touch it and that it will dry back out.  If you tell them about it, they shouldn't freak out.
When I have had super clogged printheads, I have used a syringe (without the needle) to force Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA) through the nozzles.  Might be one last thing to try before you order another one.  It may take several passes with the PGA to start seeing results.