Posts by cupadeecakes

I did this tree trunk cake just using buttercream:     I just used brown buttercream rough-iced in an up and down motion.  At the end I hit it with a little black in my airbrush to darken it and bring out all that texture.  The limbs were just RKT put on with a skewer.
Since no one has mentioned it, I'll chime in with the obligatory safety warning.  Dry Ice should never be touched with bare hands because it can burn your skin easily.  Also, make sure to use it in a well ventilated area.  As it evaporates (sublimates) it releases carbon dioxide, which in large quantities can be dangerous.  Read up on it and make sure you use it safely!
When you are making your own powdered sugar, are you using any type of starch in the mix?  Check out this article:   http://www.glutenfreegigi.com/how-to-make-corn-free-confectioners-sugar/
Every time my hubby fixes something he always finishes with "If the women don't find you handsome, at least they can find you handy!"  I think that's from that same Red Green show - boy humor!
I don't know how to fix your problem, but I do have a suggestion - until you get your numbers right, just print on regular paper and hold it up to your edible image page.  Then you'll be able to tell when you have things just right while not wasting that expensive paper.  Good luck!!
I think you did an awesome job!  Looks great!!
Is the mouth really open, or is that just black fondant giving it the illusion of being open?    I have tried several methods for getting a completely spherical cake and it always takes up way more of my time than my clients are willing to pay.  Now I use styrofoam for the bottom half of the sphere and make the top half in cake.  They look much better and my clients are generally more concerned with the looks than it being 100% edible.
If the the hole at the top really bothers you, you can always center dowel your cake before the top tier goes on and then just cut the center dowel so that it's a couple of inches shorter than the top tier.  When the top tier goes on it won't leave a hole.
I center dowel all of my tiered cakes, but I do use the thin cardboard cake boards between my tiers.  For the bottom (base) board, I will use a cake drum, 2 cake drums, or a cake drum glued on top of a wooden board, depending on the size and weight of the finished.  I stack all my tiers first, using a sewing gauge or a ruler to make sure the cake is centered.  Then I'll sharpen a dowel using a dedicated pencil sharpener and drive it through the entire cake into the base...
I carry all my cakes stacked (as long as they will fit in my vehicle), but I center dowel any any cake 2+ tiers.  I use bubble tea straws and cardboard rounds for tier-to-tier support.