Posts by cupadeecakes

Yep!  My mother-in-law's vacuum cleaner is an old Electrolux model that was actually bought new by her mother.  It has to be well over 50 years old and it still runs like new!  I've been through 3 vacuum cleaners in the last 20 years!
My BC recipe uses 2 lbs of butter, 4 lbs of powdered sugar, (no shortening) and I add a 1/2 tsp of salt to my batch.   I never use salted butter because salted butter tends to be "less fresh" (the salt is a preservative) and there's little regulation in the amount of salt added by each manufacturer - even batches by the same manufacturer can have different amounts.  Some people swear by it though!
The 6-quart mixers have a couple of gears that are prone to get mangled up.  A baker friend of mine has has 3 go out on her this week!  This YT video shows you step by step how to replace these gears.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsbgUHAGWX4   We have made this exact repair on one so far, and it went from barely working to good-as-new!  Price in parts was about $25 dollars if I remember correctly.  Not really knowing what we were doing it still took us less than...
What does your mentor think about expanding the business?   You didn't mention it specifically, but it sounds like you want to continue the donut business as well.  How much do you know about the donut business, and do you know more specifics on why the previous owner's failed?  After 18 years they should have had the business formula down pat, one would think.    When I started my cake business almost 10 years ago I made the decision NOT to open a storefront.  It...
Chloe Coscarelli has some of the best vegan recipes I have ever tasted.  Honestly, I hate adding the word vegan in that last sentence, because the recipes are wonderful whether you're a vegan or not.  You might be able to find some of her recipes online, but we have one of her cookbooks, "Chloe's Kitchen".
I did pretty much the same thing in my kitchen once it was built.  The 2 6-foot stainless tables were nice, but they had rounded edges and didn't meet properly in the middle.  So I just bought a big piece of cheap formica countertop and sat it right down on the tables.  It has served me well for almost 10 years now!
 Absolutely, all weddings should be held inside where climate control is king!  There has been some great information here already, so I'll only add that I recommend fondant to my clients for hot outdoor weddings.  I explain to them things like the melting point of butter, and that gnats and flies love buttercream as much as people do, but they tend to get stuck in it (which is NOT good eats).  If they still say they don't want fondant, out comes my hot-weather contract...
The only trouble I have ever had with condensation is when I have used those darned edible food markers.  To the point where i just threw them all away.  And I 100% agree with costumeczar's post above about not touching the cake - the condensation will dry out.
I have made all kinds of fondant and gumpaste toppers and I really don't think people actually eat them.  I have heard lots of clients that save them as keepsakes though.  Could you market them on Etsy as "made with edible materials, but not meant for consumption"?
@torysgirl87, I have been reading through this thread and I sure felt for you the entire time.  I'm glad it seems like you figured things out with the icing.  I really feel for you about the whole licensing process.  There was no CFL in GA when I got licensed, so I had to build on to our house.  And that greastrap - ARGH!  County required a 300 gallon greasetrap.  When I called the greasetrap folks - they only sell 250 gallon and 1000 gallon greasetraps, but they could...