Posts by SJEmom

Thanks for all your help! I did it! The cake turned out great and tasted as yummy as it looked!I didn't have any issues with the cake baking unlevel. It did take quite some time to fully bake the cakes. I think adding pudding to the mix increases the baking time. I also reduced the temperature on the big cake and nothing got overdone. The cake froze and defrosted well. Cutting after being in the freezer was super easy and not too many crumbs. Frosting went okay and...
Oops. I covered my board with the Wilton cake board foil and transfered my cake on to it, wraped in Saran Wrap and froze. I baked it on Sunday. I was planning to take it out either tonight or tomorrow night to shape it, then put it in the refridgerator before frosting it. I am hoping that I don't mess up the foil covering while shaping the cake. 11x15 is not an easy cake size to move.In the future, how should I freeze cakes? On cooling rack?
Cakes are baking! I have a nice big cooling rack for the 11x15 and a smaller one for the 6" round. I will let it cool almost all the way before freezing it. Do I want to put it on my cake board before freezing and do the carving/decorating all on the board? Would I cover one board for the "work" part and then transfer to the "real" one for the decorating and presenting?
I am not sure I get the heating core or stips. I think I will try baking at a lower temp. If I start to notice the edges getting too done, would it help to put aluminum foil over the edges?
I was at AC Moore today and saw Bake Even Strips, but they said they were only for 8" or 9" pans. I am baking in an 11x17. I also didn't understand about how to use the flower nails so I didn't get them.I did buy cake mix - Duncan Hines, and I bought pudding mix. On the side of the box it gave a recipe for "pound cake" which basically adds the pudding mix an extra egg and a different ammount of water. I guess that will give me the more density I will need (while still...
Teri - If I am carving the cake, would I want that extra moistness? Is Duncan Hines a good mix for getting a cake that won't crumble when shaped (if I partially freeze it first)? And some mixes say that there is already pudding in the mix - do you still add it? Also, when I go to the store, I honestly have a hard time differentiating the different types of chocolate cake - which one will be more dense for shaping purposes?
So, off of a parenting forum I got this advise for making a half/half cake:Sound right?tracy1970 - that is sort of what I am thinking about. I am hoping my first attempt comes out as good as yours. I take it from your description that using canned frosting wasn't good on the cake. Maybe I will need to take the plunge and try to make my own.Climate wise I am in the northeast - not so humid this time of year. I guess it would be fine to leave out.Thanks for all the...
I love the Winnie the Pooh #1 cake - that is actually the theme I am using for the decorations. However I am not sure that I want such a specific cake pan - not many other uses post party. Would be great if you could rent these character pans.I actually bought an 11x17 pan today. I was debating between the 11x17 and the 9x13 and bought the bigger size so that I could simplify and just do a single layer cake. I figure I will cut out a piece of parchment paper to...
Wow, a lot of information! Thank you.First of all, I am actually a bit ahead of the time line - the party is on a Sunday, but not this Sunday, I still have a week and a half. But, in the middle is a pretty big holiday (Rosh Hashanah) where I will be cooking and such, so I am trying to be prepared. It sounds like if I am so motivated I could bake the cake this Sunday, freeze it, then take it out to thaw in order for me to cut/carve it a few days beforehand. How long...
I want to bake a cake for my son's upcoming 1st birthday. I was thinking about doing a cake in the shape of a 1. I have 12-16 adults and kids eating cake. Then I wanted to make a small smash cake for my son and mini-cupcakes for the other 1-2 year olds.What size pan would you recommend for the 1?Would you make it single layer or double?If it is single I would want to make it chocolate and yellow - tips on doing that?For the smash cake - originally thought of doing a...