Posts by SJEmom

My DS has requested a pull apart cupcake cake for his birthday party in a few weeks. We won't have a ton of kids - maybe 12-15. His party is at a fire station, so a fire truck would be ideal. I just don't know how to make one at all, let alone one in a shape. A "how to" would be wonderful. Thanks!
Thanks, the Wilton technique was exactly what I needed. Need to go out and get a #8 tip, but, that shouldn't be a problem. They even give what color yellow to get. I have to say I have not ventured into fondant yet...still a bit intimidated. I will stick to piping bc for a while.
I am making banana cupcakes for my son's birthday party and I will frost with chocolate frosting. I wanted to pipe on 1-2 bananas on the top with buttercream. Is there a good tip for doing that? At first I thought it would be easy, but then realized that bananas have thicker and thiner parts.Any advise on tips or techniques? Thanks.
Oh, and when I was telling my DH about what I was thinking about, he thought I should put a banana cream filling between the cake layers. Any recipes for that? I would tend towards a milder banana taste over a very strong one. Thanks!
galliesway - thanks for the suggestion. I shy away from the WASC recipe because I know a lot of people with nut allergies. I myself am not allergic to almonds, but are sensitive to them. It is unfortunate, because everyone swears by that recipe. I do like the idea of using banana pudding!
Anyone have a good (and easy) banana cake recipe? Preferably a small recipe - at this point there are 5 kids coming (and some of them would eat the chocolate cake). I guess I could always make extras and freeze.
I am having my son's 2nd birthday party in a little over a week. It will be a small group of people - at most 20 people including the little ones. It will be a monkey theme. I haven't yet decided on a cake shape, but I know it will have blue and yellow dots on white frosting and a monkey face to match the party theme.I usually make DH boxed cake mix and add in the extra egg and oil to make pound cake. I figure since it is a small group I would have to pick between...
My DD's class has been learning about the Charles River in Massachusetts all year. For their end of year of year party I have offered to make a cake with the Charles River on it. I am very much a novice! I have looked at pictures in the galleries and taken some ideas. I have to keep the cake nut free for allergies in the class.It will be a chocolate cake. Thinking that I will make the river with white frosting and then cover with blue piping gel. I have graham...
I totally agree. I would not get a cake with the possibility of traces of nuts because I know that is serious stuff. However I am frustrated because there aren't any children with nut allergies in the class. It is a school wide rule. Also, I totally get the Kosher thing. We keep kosher. I have a kosher kitchen. Of the class of 20 there are 4 families that I can think of who actually keep kosher - all of them either have eaten at my home, or would eat at my home.This...
I want to bring a cake for my DS's preschool class ("the Lions") however the preschool has some REALLY crazy rules that they can't seem to get around - has to come from a Kosher bakery, has to be completely nut free (no possible traces/shared equipment), can't be baked at home. They said I can bake it in school and currently are allowing me to decorate it at home. (which makes no sense, but they may take that back) My plan was to make a simple sheet cake with a picture...