Posts by SJEmom

I already made my chocolate "black" frosting, but for the future, where do you get powdered colorings?It came out okay. I used dark chocolate cocoa so it started pretty dark and then added black. The gel changed the flavor a little, but the frosting is so rich, it is hard to tell the difference. It wasn't super black yesterday, hoping that today it will be a little truer color.
Thanks for the tips. I always make my own vanilla buttercream because the canned stuff tastes icky and doesn't work well, but sometime for chocolate if it is just an accent, I cheat and use the canned stuff since it tastes good to me. I don't have access to other brands of coloring...I just use the Wilton. Because the black part needs to stack on top of the cake (it will be the handle part of the nail polish bottle), I need to make sure it crusts to I can move it into...
Making a nailpolish cake for my DD's birthday this week. Want to make the handle black, but never been able to get a really deep black color and if I get it sort of dark, it tastes gross. Tips?I thought I read on here somewhere to start with chocolate frosting and color it from there. Thoughts? If I use a can of chocolate frosting, will it crust?
I was asked to make a cake for a display at my children's school for a day long event. They apparently will have it under some bright lights for a few hours. At first they told me that it wouldn't get eaten and that just seemed wrong to me. She then informed me of the bright lights for the whole afternoon, plus set up time in the morning. Will a cake stay okay under some bright lights? Will it still be good to eat? Will frosting hold up? Do I need to do anything...
The organizer said that the cake might either go to teachers or get eaten by the volunteers as they clean up. A new question...Will a real cake stay okay under some bright lights? Do I need to modify frosting?
I think the committee has an idea of what size they want for their display. When I agreed to do this my friend had asked if I would bake a simple 9" round cake, but then the woman heading up the committee was hoping for bigger to go with her vision of the display. They were originally going to use a very fake looking cake...like one of those birthday cake hats but then thought a real cake would be even better.The woman heading up the committee said that a single layer...
Okay, the other thing is I need them by this Friday so unless I could find them at a local store, I am not using a dummy. What do you mean by an altered box mix?
Where does one get Styrofoam cake tiers? Are they pricey? I am looking to not spend a lot of money and although cake mix, eggs and oil add up, they may cost less than a dummy. They want a 12" round.Any suggestions on pure shortening frosting recipes?
I was asked by my children's school to make a cake to be on display as part of an installation about how kids donate their gifts for their birthdays. The cake will be out and on display for a whole day during a dedication event as well as the day before for set up. They do not plan to serve the cake.I generally use DH cake mixes with pudding and an extra egg and I like working with the nice dense cake. If no one is going to eat the cake, I don't feel like I should spend...
Thanks! I knew there was something out there that was what I was thinking about. I have never had/made haystacks before. Thinking I will go with the regular chocolate chips. I try to bake completely nut/peanut free since so many kids have allergies these days. I can use chocolate chips and it will be perfect. I only want to make a small one as an accent on my cake so the idea of making more small nests so that each child can get a "Big Bird's Nest" sounds really...