Posts by SJEmom

So, I found a fast fix that worked pretty well. I bought Silver spray and just sprayed the part that was supposed to be grey silver. It still had a little olive tone, but overall it had a good metal look. I did the light saber part green as per birthday boy's request. Cake went over well. Thank you for your input and help. :-)
How do you use luster dust? It would be cool if I could put a silver shimmer on it. I have to go to a party store to get balloons, so I can see what they have. Can you use luster dust over buttercream? How do you apply?
I am guessing that short of scraping off the crusted buttercream and starting over on this handle there is probably little I can do. I thought about picking up some white fondant at the store (I used store bought for the green part and don't know how to make it) and getting a new black coloring to try to make grey fondant and then covering the handle with that. What is so frustrating is that it must be in response to air/light because the grey frosting in the piping bag...
I am made a light saber cake last night for my son's birthday today. The saber part is bright green fondant, but the handle was just to be grey buttercream (smoothed with the Viva method) and although it was a great shade of grey last night this morning it is a shade of army green. The cake was basically just awaiting the finishing touches. The grey frosting in the piping bag still looks grey, but on the cake it is green. I also have a piping bag of black frosting for...
I ended up just using the 8x8x4 window treat boxes that came in packs of 3 at ACMoore. I made the cakes a bit shorter and the boxes worked perfectly. When the girls arrived they had a box with an apron and bandana on top. I bought tie dye bandanas for the girls to use to cover their heds and keep their hair out of what they were doing. The aprons I bought at a restaurant supply company for $4 and we personalized them with a designs that we made on the computer "Life is...
So I think that my daughter has her heart set on the 6" cake. There is a new craft party place near us that has as one of their experiences cake decorating for a really high cost and she would like to recreate that sort of experience. We had done cupcake decorating (mostly with sprinkles and candies) at a previous party of hers and the kids just piled on the sugar and didn't use any artistry. We just discussed giving the girls a theme to use as they decorate their cakes....
My daughter is turning 12 and wants to do a cake decorating party. I have a plan to bake 2 layer 6" cakes for each girl (there will be 6-9 girls there) and on the evite, I have asked favorite flavor of cake (chocolate, vanilla or half/half) so that I can have cakes of the appropriate flavors on hand. My plan is to frost each cake with white buttercream and have it on an 8" cake round ready for them to decorate. I bought some pre-made/pre-colored fondant (Wilton) and plan...
So I ended up adding more ps and it turned out okay. I did serve it cold from the fridge because it seemed like the frosting was getting too soft at room temperature.The margarine was definitely dairy free. The next cake that I am making is using a mostly chocolate frosting with just a few piped details...for that I may use pure shortening to keep it stiffer. I like the idea of trying canned coconut milk...it does seem thicker although it will impart a bit of a coconut...
i made a dairy free frosting with margarine (2 sticks) and crisco (1 stick) and a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar. I was altering my usual dairy buttercream recipe. I substituted rice milk for the regular milk to get it nice and smooth and fluffy. I usually add 5-6 Tbs. of milk, but after adding only 3 Tbs. of rice milk with the margarine and crisco (also had a few drops of imitation butter flavoring and 3 teaspoons of vanilla) it is very soft.It is already VERY sweet, so I...
Okay, I see it now. And after pulling out the package that I have, the box looks different and what I have does not list corn oil as an ingredient so maybe there are different formulations.The package I have is pretty much soybean oil, water and other stuff...no whey. I appreciate you pointing this out so that I can make sure and double check the package each time...you never know when there can be a formulation change...