Posts by jchuck

Yes use cake boards on your dummy cakes..bottom tier.. 3 dowels. One in the middle, one on either side....
It could be ad simple as your cake boards. Especially with tbe columns. If there not firm and sturdy enough, your cake could sink. Happened to me.
Earlier in thread I did mention I tweaked the recipe by adding I cup icing sugar & 2 tblsp meringue powder. I've added as much as 2 cups icing sugar to pipe my borders/cupcakes without making the icing too sweet. Scroll back through for how to and when.....
Bonjour Miss Laetia......and fellow Canadian..... glad you love it.
cait12 Icing is so individual, what some love, others don't. My family disliked SMBC & IMBC...translation... Swiss meringue buttercream/ Italian m bc. Too sweet. Also finicky to make. When the recipe worked...it worked...when it didn't...all the work AND I might add, expensive ingredients down the drain. Then a older decorator friend of mine got me on to this flour frosting. Gave it a try and loved it. Then I realized my Mom use to make this when I was growing up..I...
Ha Ha K8memphis...... caught with my pants down!!! Obviously, if I've made alterations and tweaked the recipe, I've not followed it explicitly. But I follow the main "how to" of the recipe and added the changes that worked for me. Yes good question about the meringue powder. I add the cooled flour mixture to the whipped butter/shortening, then add the icing sugar & meringue powder. And no, adding the meringue powder at that stage not make the icing grainy.m
I never but buttermilk. I either use buttermilk powder, if I have it, but usually, I just sour regular milk with a couple if tsps of vinegar or lemon juice. Easier, and always have on hand...
Absolutely not. In the blog I posted, you will see in the recipe, you add your sugar to your flour & milk mixture. Therefore the sugar completely dissolves. When you add this cooked mixture to your whipped butter/shortening....it's as smooth as silk...not grainy in the least.
I tried water...didn't like that. Dried too fast. I used a small amount of shortening. Piping gel works too, although it is a bit sticky. Found if I didn't position the fondant 100% accurately on the dummy with piping gel, I couldn't reposition easily as the fondant stuck. So ve stuck to shortening.
Fondant will not crack. I usually cover my dummies twice. First with a very thin layer if fondant. Let that dry overnight. Then a second slightly thicker layer. I have a dummy I covered beginning of June, and it's as good as the day I covered it. Eventually, all cake dummies fade in colour, but that could take up to a year.