Posts by shiney

imo this is the best RI recipe  http://cakecentral.com/a/antonia74-royal-icing
Absolutely no problem freezing the cookies, naked or decorated.  Now, Toba's glaze seems to go blotchy when frozen, but no problem with Antonio74 RI.  I let them dry completely (I think that's the trick) and lay them single layer in airtight Rubbermaid container with parchment paper in between layers.  I tend to use RBC more than total RI, but all my cookies have RI details. Food color marker decoratiing is the only thing I won't freeze  I've only ever once noticed freezer...
Don't know.   here is the recipe I use for RBC.  It can store in freezer and last a very long time.  Here is recipe here on CC http://cakecentral.com/a/rolled-buttercream  You can color it with food color just like RI or fondant
Have you thought of using RBC?  It' super easy to make and it tastes fabulous on cookies
I freeze and refreeze naked and RI'd and RBC'd cookies all the time.  They stay wonderfully fresh.   I keep a ziploc bag of 'rejects' in my freezer for my brother, so even after months of being in freezer, they come out tasting very fresh
I have kept some wrapped for about a week before, thought they were a bit stale.  I would keep in airtight container in freezer.  I took to a friend's big freezer before I got my own.
Angel, I use RBC (Rolled Buttercream) on cookies all the time, but I use light corn syrup to adhere to the cookie.  I detail with RI, put in freezer, no problem
Custom Cookies it sounds like we do the same. Upside down in short glass with damp paper towel. I use the end of a spoon to stir if they separate. I have invested in several bottles and tips. Guess I won't fix what ain't broke . I'm a huge RBC user so I don't do a lot of flooding. But I try to use the large bottles for that. And yes if I use very thick RI I will try to use a bag. I will pass on one new trick I discovered. A nylon (piece of knee-high hose) between coupler...
Ok, so I tried bags today.  decided to stick to bottles.  I'm sure it's all in what you're used to.  Found it a pain to fill the bags, and keep them closed.  I know there are closer thingies, but glad I didn't invest in them.  Too much cutting tips off bags, needing a third hand or cup for filling bags, keeping up with them upside down in cup while decorating with several colors,etc.   I think it's harder on hands to squeeze the bottles, though.  But I can also keep icing...
I use bottles (the small ones that fit coupler and tips) exclusively, but have been watching some tutorials and notice these amazing cookiers use piping bags.  I use the bottle like an oversized pen, and wasn't sure if I could do the same with the bags.  Any thoughts?