Posts by sadsmile

Check out youtube and search key words like fondant smoothing and butter cream icing, ganache, stacking and anything in cake decorating. Learning about your medium and how to get the best out of it will help you. That is honestly how I learned and improved my skills. There is a wealth of FREE information and tutorials out there for the searching.  I wish you much success! 
Honestly you are lucky the bride loved it. To encourage you at this point would only be to practice. We all start somewhere, this is true. I have some monkey iced cakes in my history, back when I first began also, and this not a bash at all and I mean that sincerely. But I had the good sense to wait till I honed my skills enough to present a cleanly executed cake, before entertaining the idea of making cakes for people to pay for.  I encourage you to use this experience...
Sounds very gypsy-ish. I advise you get the payment upfront and then you have nothing to worry about. Be firmer.
I would ask her if she was able to get the blue icing out of her daughter's ... oops I mean "vehicle occupant's" clothing. That cake was smashed. If it was a crusting bc chances are it would have acted like it does on a viva and just smooshed it in like that. I agree that this was a transport issue.
You covered the dummy/display cake neatly, but handling cake is a bit different. They saw the display and then got something not as nice. They really aren't comparable. The finish of the display cake is quite misleading as compared to where your skills are at with decorating real cake. So then to the customer the display cakes you have done are not an accurate depiction of what you can/did produce in real product.Practice, practice, practice.Until your skill level with...
Good That type of card board wouldn't be firm enough to be stable anyway, even if it was cut from a clean cake box- it's just to flimsy. You need something a bit more rigid to prevent a collapse.I've delivered 3 and 4 tiered cakes fully assembled. They were good and chilled from being in a commercial cake shop fridge so they were rock hard while transporting for the 20 minutes it took. Easy breazy. No biggie at all.
And before anyone gets, mad, let's think about what is in your shopping buggy or basket next to those boxes that have already been handled way to much to eat off of them. Produce that still may have pesticides on it and you certainly wash well before eating. Cartons of eggs. We all know about the bakery that was shut down for using those cartons for storage, but what about it being stacked on those boxes?Meat is usually on the shopping list. Those plastic wrapped packages...
I've tried to hold this back I really did. but I just can't. What the heck are you thinking using an old cereal box? Recycling has it's place and this isn't it. If someone gave me food on recycled old cardboard I would never eat anything they gave me again. If I was a paying customer and received anything on a recycled bit of cardboard I would be royally pissed off. Use new cake circles. Really!!! Restaurants don't recycle old foam containers to give you your take away...
it's heavier than butter cream and nothing could keep it from escaping the cake. I would never try it. Any filling that doesn't hold it's shape is disaster prone.
Marshmallow fluff if left on a plate will sink and ooze till it is flat and fills the plate. It never holds it's shape. I can just picture what happened to your cake. That's terrible and upsetting.