Posts by Cakenicing4u

Did anyone else make "This year I'm gonna __________, darn it. I AM." kind of resolutions?  I did. =( I'm damn tired of letting the bakery run me, so I'm trying to wrangle the beast and understand it better.  I suck at the accounting and financials, so my first task was to build a database and implement Cake Boss software.   What was your resolution?  
Hello all! It's been about three years since I posted in here... In June 2010 I opened my little bakery and WOW what a rollercoaster it has been!  Currently I have about 1800s/f, split in half, so about 900s/f for my kitchen and 900 for display cases, office, consultation area, storage, etc... I have been looking to move to a larger spot because sales are good, space is tight and I'm now surrounded by FIFTEEN other bakery places... From specialty cake shops (4) to...
Now, I know I can't be the ONLY one who's noticed that pb and dh have reduced their box sizes by about 3 ounces!! I have done a few searches and I can't find a link to a prior post on this... So either I'm looking in the wrong places or I'm the first to admit to using boxes... LOL.... So what's the dealey-o? When I up the recipes, I can add an extra box, but in the kitchenaid size, 2 boxes and 2 extensions doesn't taste right... so we've been adding the extra box mix,...
singerequipment dot com is a store local to me, and I get a 12ct plastic container and a 6ct. container there. I don't like boxes for cupcakes unless you have a really good holder inside of it, and my customers seem to like the plastic for keeping the extras fresh for a few days..
I'm lost on this one... He said he wants a cake for the Chinese New year, the year of the rabbit.. something cute, but with only a small budget. I don't want to do an easter type of rabbit though. He's a small business Neighbor of mine that runs a salon and I know that this good deed will go far. We take care of each other like that! I googled the year of the rabbit and saw a few cute drawings, but I kind of like the idea of a different kind of cake, not a sheet cake with...
This is exactly how we feel about groupon... It's worth giving them a shot, and I always spend more than the coupon is worth... I've been back several times to one place, one place we won't go back to, and there's other places I just can't wait to try! It's an experiment of sorts. It must be a woman thing that I'd rather try a place with a coupon than without! LOL
Also, something to throw out there.. once you run one ad with them, you have the ability to set up your own ad, and the percentages change... set up your own ad and run it to everyone in the database, you get 75% of the sale, and if you have a following (you can follow particular businesses that you like and get alerted when they run ads) if you advertise to only your followers, you get 90% of the cut. I'm not sure when I will run it again, but I'm sure I will as it grows...
eh, to each his/her own I suppose... I have five other bakeries within spitting distance and I had to differentiate myself... we all FB, we all Google, etc... but only one of us has a retail shop! =) It worked for me and the costs and time input for Groupon were acceptable to me.
I know that time is money, trust me... But name me one other way of advertising to 15,000+ people at one time without spending a lot of money! And, overall, most people come in with a $10 groupon and spend $20+ on cakes or cupcakes etc.. so I feel like I more than made out in the deal! In the end, you have to do what you think is best, but Groupon introduced me to a whole new line of customers, and specifically, a younger more tech savvy group with cash to spend!
Had to celebrate somewhere... lol.. and finally, I was able to quit my real job to work 100% of the time on my own business! I was working on opening up for over two years, with a lot of ups and downs.. and I have to say, every day is different and every day I love it!I spent 6 months working 80-100+ hours at my shop, and 20+ hrs a week at my real job, and let me tell you... there were weekends when I napped in my car whenever I could because I wasn't going home... 9-?...