Posts by poohsmomma

Maybe when you scrape the sides your bence scaper is not at a true right angle. Maybe it's wobbling a little.Does this make sense?
When I am adding fondant decorations to a bc cake, I usually use Wilton fondant. It has enough "body" to hold its shape while transferring it to the cake. It is a little pricey, but the colors are bright, and the texture is good-and it probably won't be eaten anyway. Many people make marshmallow fondant, but I find it too soft to work with, although it tastes pretty good.For the cake you have the link to, some of the items- Mickey's ears, the stars on wires, the stars...
You can make these days, even weeks ahead of time. After they've dried, just keep them some place dark and cool. A cardboard box works best.You don't really have to worry about them being fresh, because they're not going to be eaten.
This is also a pet peeve of mine. I'm just a hobby baker, but I teach a VERY basic decorating class through our local community ed program. I have photos of very similar cakes (style and skill level) that I've found on the web to show the students how different a cake can look on plain cardboard or on a covered board. They usually spot the difference right off.And don't even talk about the greasy stain that creeps through the cardboard....yuck.
Because of a vacation, I had to bake,decorate and freeze a cake for a friend. It was an all buttercream cross-shaped cake. I boxed the cake, wrapped the box completely in several layers of plastic wrap and then foil. They had directions to remove the cake to the refrigerator the day before, and set it out to come to room temp the morning of the party-still completely wrapped. It was frozen for about a week. It was perfect when unwrapped. I don't know about the RI rosebuds....
You can also use plain printer paper.
I'm just a hobbyist, so I don't have as many hours on my feet as most of you. However, I love my ugly Crocs or Orthaheel flip flops, and my compression hose are a must. What with those lovely fashion accessories and my pink hairnet, I must look a sight!
I use Indydebi's recipe for my community ed. classes. It uses Crisco.
Annabakescakes, the recipe is on the powdered cocoa can.
Have you tried the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can....pretty rich and yummy. I keep it in the leftovers in the fridge and eat it with a spoon....think I'll go get a bite now.