Posts by SaltCakeCity

Hey! I prefer doing 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling/frosting in between but that's just a personal preference. I don't know the exact measurements of the layers or fillings but here's a picture of what my flavors look like on the inside. I hope that helps :)  
Yes, I've done this before. I made two layers of cheesecake and had a center of buttercream and covered it in MMF. It looked fine and held up fine but the venue later told me that once they cut into it, the cheesecake was just so soft and it didn't hold up as well as the cake did. Now, I just suggest that those that don't really like cake try the cake flavors I have that are based in other desserts (like my Banana Cream Pie cake or Apple Pie Cake). It's cake but it...
Yeah, I cut circles and then pinch the circle upward with 4 or 6 fingers (that's really hard to explain but just try it and it might make more sense). Then place them in empty egg crates until they dry. I hope that helps :)
I always offer a "free pick up" clause for all of my cakes (even wedding cakes). I created a cake pick up instruction sheet that I email to them in advance and it says right on there that once is leaves my doorstep, it's no longer my problem. I am not liable for ANYTHING that happens to the cake once it leaves my doorstep. I provide a box and I structure the cake well so it won't fall over in the drive (as long as they drive safe) but other than that, I don't provide ice...
I don't see anything wrong with your fondant in that picture... it's great! I only use MMF and have found that if it's too dry, it'll crack. If you notice that when rolling it out, I would probably pop it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften it up, kneed it thoroughly so you don't see any seems, then roll it out again :) I hope that helps!   Oh, and for next time, I would suggest putting a little less powdered sugar in it. Just an suggestion :)
I would guess so... if it gets too thick, add a little milk to soften it up a bit? Sounds delicious to me!
I had a similar issue with a "Pride & Prejudice" Cake and so I came up with this. I did a book but had a few different elements and objects from the book as little pieces around the cake, like a piece of music, letter, pen, and ink, and brooch. The family loved the cake and I was just happy I didn't have to read through the book again to get the idea :) Haha
I only use MMF but I don't weigh it out. One bag of mini marshmallows, 1 tablespoon of water drizzled over the top. Microwave for 45 seconds to a minute. Stir just for a second to get the marshmallows all liquidy. Start adding powdered sugar until it gets to hard to stir. Coat your hands and countertop in powdered sugar and start kneeding the ball of dough until it feels like dough that can be rolled out. (I usually use about a half a small bag of powdered sugar but I...
I use any cake flavor for carving, it just takes more time and patience. I would make the bulk of the bottom cake and then the top neck in rice crispies. Depending on how tall it'll be, including support inside. I would stack the cake normally and then pop it in the fridge till the buttercream crusts. Then carve, then refrost, then back in the fridge. The carve again, refrost again, then then fridge again until the shape is just right :) Good luck!
What recipe did you use? I only use MMF and have found that if I've put too much water in it before I microwave, it tends to come out rubbery. I only use a tablespoon per 10 oz bag. If it tends to be too rubbery to use, I usually will save it for other details (like color it and use it later). It's such an inexpensive medium so I usually just remake it. Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck!