Posts by catlharper

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share photos of their work, share their week, ask for help or provide help if they can! Hope to see lots of great cakes this weekend.   Cat
The Italian Baker: That is a gorgeous dessert table! A very beautiful cake (awesome flowers!) for the centerpiece! Congrats on your first professional order for your OWN business! May this lead to many many more!   Cat
Reen! SO cute! Love your little critters! I do hope you are feeling so much better! Please do take care as much as you can and we'll see you back here next week.   Cat
Julia,   My dad use to say that comparing yourself to others is useless because there will always be someone better than you...and always someone worse. Compare yourself to yourself only. See how far YOU have come in your work. With each cake I learn something new, get a little more experienced and do a little better. For instance, I use to just get mentally panicky when I'd think of covering a cake in fondant. It really stressed me out. But now it's just something that...
Julia!   Your cake is amazing! I think you are MUCH better than your words let on. Thank you for your kind words to me...it's been a hard week.   Cat
Hi everyone!    I came back in this morning and I'm so glad I did! Wow! The cakes are all AHHHHH-MAZING! My eyes are popping!     But the reason I came by was to tell you what I discovered! They are acetate smoothers for fondant. Now, they are sold out right now but she's ordered another shipment and I'll be getting mine as soon as she does! Go to this link to check it out and also click on the photo of the smoothers and watch the tutorial link...
Gerle, Yes, I'm still going to be here every Friday night! I'll still be making cakes too but just not for sale. I think I'm going to be working on demo cakes so I can take as much time as I want and work on new techniques as slow as I want to be able to do so. The problem with doing client cakes is that it's on a short time schedule and my hand just won't take it. I end up with a very sore hand after even simple cakes now. But with a demo cake I can take 2-3 weeks and no...
Thank you again! I'll let you know how the first attempt goes next month. If it goes well then I very well may add this book to my Christmas list! LOL! Cat
PS...for those of you who are JUST joining cake club...THIS is why I love it....everyone here is SO ready to help, to teach, to share the work of caking with everyone else. It's not like anyone here is stingy with their time or knowledge. No "secret" recipes, no "hidden" techniques. Just ask and everyone is willing to help or lead you to someone who can!   Have a great weekend everyone!   Cat
MB, I read your tips and think I will try the "heat half of the chocolate till melted then add in the rest off of the heat to melt". That sure sounds like the safest way to go about it! If I run into trouble I'll make sure to yell for help! LOL! Your page said you can combine the chocolate clay with fondant? Is there a particular percentage of clay to fondant??? I'm thinking, for my birthday cake, of chocolate clay "pieces" but for future reference in actually covering a...