Posts by catlharper

@Gold Star Mom I am super impressed that you were able to make such a gorgeous cake under those conditions!    @mattyeatscakes My younger daughter, when she was little, would have simply adored your Strawberry Shortcake. That's adorable. But her 3 year old son would go crazy over the Lego cake! He's SO into them right now. Great work!     We are, once again, up at dawn for karate. Today is his Red Tip test that will allow him to continue to his Black Belt test next...
Hi everyone! Only one cake this week and it's not due till Sunday so it's only crumbcoated right now. Real work will happen tomorrow. I'll try to post it then. It is my last cake of the year and it's not even a "pro" cake. It's my mom's birthday cake and, I hope, it will look like a Minion. She loves the things and those movies so I'm hoping she will love this too. There is just four of us so it's a 4 inch stacked cake. So teeny but, as some of you know, that can make it...
Opening up another session of the FNCC. Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!   Cat
I like the idea of being able to check the dolce in the oven. The chance of the can exploding in the stove top method is only if you let the water drop to below the can. It has to stay submerged the entire time so you have to watch over it. Semi cool it was more liquid like (sorta like chocolate syrup) and perfect for spreading onto the warm cake since I wanted it to soak into the cake and not sit on top. I only used half of the can for the cake so the rest went into a...
Ooooo, I love coming back on Saturday morning! The new dessert is deeeee-vine! It is very sweet with the buttercream so you need to cut those slices small! LOL! I might try it next time with whipped cream and see how that is too. I will try the oven method but I understand there are all sorts of ways to do this so I will, I'm sure, try them all to see which works best for me but the dessert is yummy enough to do it again and regular store bought caramel sauce wouldn't...
Marian,    Love your cakes but my favorite is the wedding cake! That's gorgeous! And, yes, running this as a biz is exhausting. I'm really happy that this is my last year.   Cat
Hi everyone!  No cake for me this week other than the one I'm experimenting with here at home. Followed Pioneer Woman's Pumpkin cake recipe for the first time (only did a half recipe for our small family) and decided to experiment with the "condensed milk caramel" too. Basically you boil the condensed milk in the can (without the label and totally submerged) for 2 hours and then let it cool. Because I'm making a "poke" cake I only let it cool for about an hour so it would...
Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed and provide help if they can!    Cat
@MBalaska You can totally DO that! There is a wonderful place called The Bench that looks out over the 18th hole at Pebble. The views are amazing. I'll PM you a photo so you can refine your dream! LOL! Thanks for the compliment on the cake! I'm always SO nervous when making a cake that's not just my imagination...it's harder to fix if something goes wrong. No "I'll just put a flower over that" when you see a mistake! LOL!   Cat
Hi everyone! Hope you had a great week! Mine was sorta weird because our son had Monday and Tuesday off so this week has felt amazingly short! We went to the Bay Area for my hubby's birthday. It was totally great! My SIL has his own propane company and services Pebble Beach. For years they have been trying to get him to play the course so for my husband's birthday this year he took them out there for a round on Sunday. Dream come true for both of them. Because of the...