Posts by charleezgal

What is the reason my cakes bulge where the layers meet? My filly isn't coming through/out, but you can see where the layers meet and my buttercream bulges. Is it because the layers are assembled incorrectly? Here is how I do it. 1. I put first layer cake pan bottom down on plate. Leveled side is facing up.2. Second layer I'm placing trimmed side down. So trimmed sides are touching each other.3. That leaved the bottom of that layer facing up. There is always a large gap...
You can also use a scewer stick. Just mark your cake at the top every inch or however wide you want your diamonds, and then lay your stick at an angle down the sides of your cake.hth
I use canned cherry pie fillings in my cakes sometimes. I'm sure you could do the same with strawberry. I puree it, mix with some buttercream, and fill. Don't forget to make a dam around the edges.hth
It's really important to put your image on the second you take it out of the freezer. I lay mine directly on the cake and start smoothing the entire image onto the cake. I then slowly lift off the wax paper and if looks like it's going to stick to the paper, I lay it back down and press it again.My cakes have always abeen at room temperature. The only time I've ever had trouble is when the transfer starts to "thaw" or soften.hth
Yes, sorry. I guess if I would call them by the correct name you would know what I was talking about. I get it now. I'm heading to Hobby Lobby or Michaels today to get some HIDDEN pillars...LOL Thanks again. Are you a Colts fan? I was born and raised in Indianapolis. Moved to SW MO about 11 years ago, but Indy will always be "home" to me.
Hey Indy,In the Wilton Wedding Cakes book ( A Romantic Portfolio- 3 layer stacked white cake on front) Page 69, they have "Hidden Pillars" It says they are designed to separate cake tiers slightly and create a floating illusion. Pushed into tiers as dowel rods, they fit onto all white separator plates except Tall Tier. Trimmable, plastic, hollow.Have you ever used these? So, you like the tapered pillar push ins huh? I guess you just slide the little caps on first and...
I have only used the two plate system and want to venture out and use the push ins and the invisible pillars. I think I understand how the push in pillars work, but I'm unclear on the invisible ones. What's the difference, and which ones do you prefer? Pros and cons?I appreciate any comments.
Do you mean that you put the ribbon at the very bottom of the cake and then put the border over it? Do you have any pictures of how that looks?Thanks a bunch!
I am putting 1 inch ribbons on the bottoms of each tier of a 3 tier cake. Do you put a border on first and THEN place the ribbon just above it? Or, do you omit the border altogether since the ribbon will be there?Would love to see pictures of both to see the differnce. Please share your pictures or ideas with me. Thanks CC'ers!
Ha Leah! Yes, I'd love to. I wish I could see one in person and get a close look at how it works. Are there any links to get a close-up look?Teresa