Posts by charleezgal

Hmm,Well, I need really jet black icing for this. The color is perfect in the tube. Only parts of it fell off. It was the first time I had ever done this sort of cake. Below is a picture. I wondered if it was because I didn't press the tip against the cake hard enough so it didn't really get to be attatched.What do you use?
I'm doing a wedding cake this weekend that is all buttercream with buttercream scrolls. I am using Wilton's black icing tube (the one you can put your own tips on)I did this a few months ago and delivered it the day before the event. It looked great. The next day, however, I noticed that some of the scrolls just fell off, or came loose from the cake. Are there any tips or tricks someone could tell me about to prevent this from happening again?
I just bought a very nice fancy cake stand. An 18". I'm a little nervous about leving it (and my other supplies) at venues where I don't know the clients personally. Do you charge a deposit to cover these items? And do you require them to return everything back to you, or do you go and pick it up?
I am putting real roses on an all buttercream wedding cake this Sat. Is it okay to just wrap them (rose stem, small sprig of baby's breath) in floral tape and insert directly into cake, OR, do I need to push floral spikes into the cake first and put the flowers in? I would prefer to just wrap them in floral tape if that would be okay.Thanks for your help
I usually have one or more of my kids help by holding a cake while we travel to the venue. They slide if I put them in boxes and it's so stressful getting them there. How do you all get your cakes out the door safely?
Thanks Indy for the link. I'm going to go now and look at it.BTW - A huge thanks to you on your info about the push in pillars last week. I used them and I LOVED them. I will use them all the time. Attatched is the wedding cake that I used them on yesterday. Also, this is the cake that had the terrible bulging problem. My solution was to move the ribbon, which was supposed to go at the bottom of the cakes to the middle to hide them. It worked, but what if ribbons weren't a...
What is the reason my cakes bulge where the layers meet? My filly isn't coming through/out, but you can see where the layers meet and my buttercream bulges. Is it because the layers are assembled incorrectly? Here is how I do it. 1. I put first layer cake pan bottom down on plate. Leveled side is facing up.2. Second layer I'm placing trimmed side down. So trimmed sides are touching each other.3. That leaved the bottom of that layer facing up. There is always a large gap...
You can also use a scewer stick. Just mark your cake at the top every inch or however wide you want your diamonds, and then lay your stick at an angle down the sides of your cake.hth
I use canned cherry pie fillings in my cakes sometimes. I'm sure you could do the same with strawberry. I puree it, mix with some buttercream, and fill. Don't forget to make a dam around the edges.hth
It's really important to put your image on the second you take it out of the freezer. I lay mine directly on the cake and start smoothing the entire image onto the cake. I then slowly lift off the wax paper and if looks like it's going to stick to the paper, I lay it back down and press it again.My cakes have always abeen at room temperature. The only time I've ever had trouble is when the transfer starts to "thaw" or soften.hth