Posts by charleezgal

That was another thing I forgot to mention; I always use a cake tester too. Could it atill be that it's under done a bit?
I use baking strips, even baking time, following recipies, try not to over/under mix and they come out beautifully untill they cool, and then they sink in the middle. Why? And how to fix it?
Thank you very much. Where do you usually poke the hole? On the side maybe, where you can't see so much? When do you fill it in? I thought I might use the woodgrain mat on the coffin top; do I do this after it's on the cake or when I roll it out?
It's amazing that it would take more than 3 pounds of fondant to cover a less than 11x15 sheet, BUT i will take you word and order the 5 pounder. Thanks a bunch. How thick do put the buttercream on before you put the fondant on? You are supposed to chill the cake after buttercream layer before you cover it too, right?
I'm about to place an order with GSA and I'm buying my first tub of fondant...Yeah! I will need to cover an 11x16 sheet (that will be carved down a bit to make the shape of a coffin). Will the 2# tub of Satin Ice be enough to cover this size cake? I don't want to buy 5# of black fondant if I don't need that much. Thanks for your expertise!
Hi there,The problem is not that your butter is salted. I use nothing but salted butter in my buttercream frosting and it's delicious. The problem is there is air in your cake and as it settles, it pushes out the sides. You're putting too much frosting on the edges. Check out this link: http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspxIt helped me tremendously with this same problem. HTH
Nikki,Yes, please post them asap. Thanks everyone for your input here. You are all so helpful. I'm going to go buy some Satin Ice in BLACK and give it a try. I will probably just use buttercream underneath for now until I can get a good understanding on the ganache. I've never seen or tasted it before.Does your buttercream underneath need to be the same thickness as usual?
Thank you all so much. I'm taking it all in and making notes. So, the consensus seems to be: make your own, or buy Satin Ice pre-colored fondant. Do you all agree that it tastes decent?Where is the best source to buy it? (cost, fast delivery)And once the cake is covered in fonant, what is the protocol for keeping it soft/fresh until it reaches customer? Does it need covered?
Thanks for all the tips. I've never used ganache either. (maybe I should start another forum question for that...lol) Great idea for youtube, I do go there a lot. For making it black, could I use the color mist spray I've seen at Michaels?If making it black with food coloring, do you put it in a plastic bag and knead the color in? Assuming I buy the already made Wilton white fondant.I didn't know you could buy already made black fondant. Does Michaels sell that too? ...
Indy, You and I really click. I bet if I lived back in Indy ( I wish, ) We'd be best buds! LOL Your always here to answer my questions and seem to understand me and my cake woes. You rock! You should check out my gallery sometime. You would see the results of my many questions. They may look familiar to you. ie, scrolls, ribbons, stacking, on and on. Now, about needing the fondant to be black and not taste so nasty....??