Posts by denetteb

I am so glad that you were able to get it repaired and that the client was happy with it.  You can use any cardboard round, just a single thickness, like what is used on the bottom tier but that probably has several layers to make it stiffer.  I don't trim mine, I use the bit of difference in size from the cardboard to the cake as s pace for the icing.
Is each tier sitting on it's own cardboard or foamcore?
My guess is the weight of the house plus fondant plus details plus figures with no support just squished the icing out. Smooth it back out and then use proper support and reassemble it. I don't use fondant so can't address that specific issue.
If it is falling apart now, it will likely only be worse tomorrow.  This is a paid cake and should not be falling apart the day before it is due.  If you fix it now you are done with it, you have plenty of time to fix it now and make it right for the customer.  If you wait and it is worse you will probably have to rebake and redo the whole thing since the bottom section will be crushed and crumbled.  If you do it now you can probably save the bottom layer.  Can't you just...
Did you have a cardboard under the high area in the back with dowels in the lower section of cake?  if not, that is why it is sinking, too much weight.  Can you remove the deck house, put in on a board, dowel the lower layer and reset the deck house?
Don't drop your price down to meet theirs.  Certainly you can modify sizes and other details to adjust the price, but don't just decrease the price because they ask for it.  Don't randomly give discounts.  Don't advertise on facebook rummage sale type pages.  Make sure your web page and facebook page are very professional with no typos.  Have very good quality photos of good quality products displayed in a nice presentation.  Be confident in your pricing and business...
If it was me I would do the swirls (you mean the rose swirl rosettes, right?) on the sides of the cakes ahead of time.  Transport, assemble, then do the rosettes on top of the cakes.
What would happen if you used gummy fish?
Make the cake, put it in a rigid plastic container, freeze it.  The night before the party or the morning of, depending on the time of the party and how big the cake, have them take it out of the freezer and set it on the counter to defrost.  Uncover and serve.  Make a tester to make sure you trust the process and are comfortable with it.  I have done 3 friends graduation cakes this way since I planned to be out of town.  As life would have it, I was there for all three...
It is admirable that you want to please those that are eating your cakes.  But I think it is impossible to please absolutely everyone.  That is why there are so  many different recipes for icing and vanilla cakes and chocolate cakes, etc, etc.  Preferences can depend on where you grew up, what you grew up eating, if you like sweet or not so sweet, creamy vs whipped, hot and humid vs cool and dry weather, cake served indoors or outside.  Tweak or change your recipe if you...