Posts by denetteb

Leah, I am glad you came back on this one.  I had thought that was a lot of weight to settle the cakes but wasn't certain enough to comment on it.  Glad you clarified that for her.  And me too.  Go ahead and use the wasc that you originally used.  It wasn't the cause of the problem so no need to try another recipe.  And when you rebake, cut a circle of parchment paper (or wax paper if you have no parchment) and put it in the bottom of the pan.  That way you are assured...
No sense losing sleep over it. I think you should just rebake so you don't have to spend the next 2 1/2 days worrying if it is going to collapse. Rebake and just use buttercream for a filling. You might even change to buttercream for all of the fillings, simplify it a bit since you will be losing time rebaking. I think you would be better to rebake than try a new recipe and technique with the ganache that may or may not solve the problem. But if you do rebake, don't...
Yegads, Jiya. Hmmmmm, yes, I am stalling! I hope Leah comes back on with some ideas for you. So is it 4 layers of cake and 3 filling? Is it the same filling for all? It looks like the top and bottom filling is buttercream and the middle has the strawberry? Can you take the strawberry section apart, try to remove the filling and just use buttercream? Spackle in the hole with your spare cake pieces? and then ice? This is a gift, not a paid cake, right? If it is a...
Most people use the Wilton wedding serving chart for all cakes. No matter whether a grooms cake or wedding cake the servings would be the same. You will need to get the bride to narrow down the required servings though, 100 - 150 is way too broad. No way you can accurately plan, make or charge for that wide of a range.
I would freeze them as they are baked as elisaber suggests.  The day before the event take them out of the freezer and put them into large, short plastic totes or your boxes or whatever you are transporting them in and put a simple swirl on them right in the box.  I think you should do some calculating and figure out how much space all these cupcakes will take so you can figure out the storage/transporting logistics.  Do you really have the counter, freezer, vehicle...
I know it seems confusing because there are lots of ways people answer all of your questions.  Some refuse to freeze, others always freeze.  Some wrap in multiple layers, others just use one layer.  The thing is, no one has the definitive answer to all of your questions simply because no one has done all the  specific experiments you suggest.  A couple years ago some Wilton forum users did do an experiment on freezing and found no loss of moisture, even when the cake was...
We were typing at the same time.  I can't help with the topper question, I don't work with fondant.  
1-I wouldn't worry about the 2 inch chunks that you replaced. 2-The dowels will be fine. 3-the 10 inch cake is the one on the bottom, you really don't have to have a cardboard under that one.  You could use the 10 inch drum or an 8 inch cardboard circle to help with supporting the 10 inch cake when you move the cake around.  But it doesn't have to be on a board.  I would probably just use an 8 inch or the drum will raise the height of that tier. 4-I think the drum...
When you gave her the cake, where in the car did she put it?  You said she posted that it happened on the drive, so did she have the cake in a place where she could see it?  Like on the front seat?  Which could have been a big part of the problem. 
I know some advocate multiple layers, I  just haven't read any justification for so many layers.  It is just overkill to me.  There are lots of others who use one layer or two or three or whatever, it isn't like 4 plus a box is the only way and anything less will be a fail.  Think of the products in the freezer section of the grocery store that are stored for months, ice cream with just a waxy box, cakes in a box, pizza and multiple bread products all in one layer of...