Posts by denetteb

Another thing is to use the big icer tip, 789.  You use a larger than usual bag, pop the mongo tip in and apply a wide ribbon of icing around the cake.  It goes on nice and even all the way around and over the top.  Less work to get it smooth too. 
Oh for  Pete's sake, it looks like it took a couple of spins in a clothes dryer.  What a mess.  Usually when these wrecks are shown you can kind of see both sides, maybe the baker did this wrong, maybe the driver did this wrong and the combination or parts of both caused the disaster.  I can't in my wildest imagination think of how this wasn't completely caused after it left your hands and nothing you could have done would have prevented it.  I can see why the woman was...
That was the problem, the highlights I saw ONLY showed drama, not a bit of baking or decorating.
I don't have cable but had heard about Buddy's show.  My sister raved about it thinking I would like it.  She gave me links to highlights of a couple of shows.  One was the one with the bride going crazy with her white cake and the other involved a big bag of flour getting broken (in a way that wouldn't happen naturally) and flour all over.  Both of them seemed so unbelievable to me that I was completely turned off and never interested in watching ever again.
Bunny's recipe decorates well, great for piping, etc.  I don't do fondant but don't know why it wouldn't work under fondant. You don't have to use almond but you will want butter flavor to help flavor the shortening in the recipe.  I have also used cream bouquet flavoring instead of almond.  That should make 12 or more cups. 
You already have a job, your year at developing your cake business is causing you frustration, you admit having problems making and sticking with a business plan. You say you love to bake and decorate and you love bright colors and big fluffy piping. You love when people say they love your cakes and.that doesn't always happen with paying customers. Why continue with the business? Keep your day job, go back to baking as a hobby. Make small cakes you love and give...
Some more photo feedback. Google cake central for threads on taking good cake pictures. Neutral or complementary backgrounds, no kitchen appliances in the background, good lighting. Look to your wedding cake pictures compared to the other pics to see the difference.
Another business idea to consider as you put together your business plan. What if you really featured your natural flavors and ingredients. Make simple but fabulous tasting dessert cakes. No stacking, elaborate decorating. Just simply iced but great tasting. Maybe that is a niche you could fill.
Your photos should show your cakes at their very best. Those pictures are very important for your portfolio, facebook, blog, web page. So take pictures with the cardboard off and place it on that pretty plate for the photo. If you post links to your web page we can give suggestions there as well. Lots of people check out a businesses web page before doing business so it is key that it is top notch, even if using a free service. I think it would help your cakes if you...
Don't stop making cakes. Just stop selling them until you have had much more practise and can make cakes that are good quality each and every time.