Posts by denetteb

Are you afraid of the cakes burning or the strips burning?  Are the cakes testing done when you remove them...just a few cake crumbs sticking to a tooth  pick?  If not, your oven may need to bake the cakes a little longer.  Are your cake strips too wet?  When I started using my home made ones I wasn't wringing out enough water and the sides of the cake weren't getting enough heat so the sides were too raw.  Once I wrung out more water it was fine.  I love my strips and by...
 Unfortunately I can't answer your question but one thing you said gives me  pause...."fully recovered and could do everything normally again"?  You may or not ever be able to do everything normally again.  You should look at all of your tasks and how you do them.  Analyze what motions are involved and think of how you can do the actions with greater ease and more efficiently or you could be back in the same predicament.  Carpal tunnel surgery isn't always a cure all and...
Another idea is to look at different fonts.  Some are kind of fun and the printed letters are staggered, not placed in a straight line so easier to do.  Another way is to print instead of doing cursive and put little dots at the ends of certain letters.  Have you tried trying different thicknesses of icing?  If it is too firm it makes it harder to pipe.
One suggestion...before you box the cake to take a really good picture of it.  Preferably with a neutral background.  A piece of foam core or one of those three sided tagboard displays like kids use for science fair projects works good.  That way you have a really nice picture to show your friends and to look back on.  I have no desire to sell cakes but I do like to share the pictures of what I make so I make sure I have pictures with neutral background and no box...
Very cute!  Nice work.
I have looked and searched and simply cannot find Indy actually saying or  posting how she makes her recipe into cream cheese flavored.  I find over and over mamawrobin posting 'her version'.  Her words are her version so I don't know how it is different from Indy's.  That recipe has WAY more liquid than the one I use.  When you have it mixed is it a good consistency or is it really soft?  I never measure and dump in the liquid for icing, I add as needed.  Is the wedding...
What is the actual recipe you are using?  The recipe written in this thread is one that someone modified of Indy's.  Sometimes as things get shared and reposted mistakes are made.  What recipe are you making?
I would say if you are having repeated problems with the recipe to look around for another crusting cream cheese recipe rather than going through another hundred pounds of sugar trying to get this one to work for you.  How much of a crust are you getting?  It should only be crusted enough so that you can lightly touch it with your finger and not get icing on it.  It shouldn't be hard or anything like that.  Even if it isn't crusting as much as you want you should still be...
Rydilly, it is tape.  Just put tape on the ribbon and that becomes the back (cake side) of the ribbon.
If you are doing two boards together make sure you attach them so they don't slide apart, double sided tape or a loop of tape or melted candy melts or something.  Oh, don't start worrying about the next cake already!!!  A cake for your daughter should be fun, not a worry.  She will be thrilled with it regardless so plan and prepare and allow enough time.  Are you going to carve the teddy or do you have the molded cake pan?  If you feel it is just too advanced then you have...