Posts by denetteb

Can you give a little more detail to help get better advice.  How big were the tiers, how tall, did you drive with all 4 tiers stacked, were the cakes chilled, where was it in the car, was it flat in the car, how many dowels did you have in the different sizes of tiers, what did you have for the base board at the very bottom.  And any before and after pictures.  I know it is a lot of info but there are so many variables.
I just looked at their site and put in the dog paw mold (we are fund raising for a new dog  park) and the shipping came up zero.  Is shipping included in the mold cost with no additional added?
I think where the problem occurred was not establishing with the customer what the exact size of the cakes would be.  Agreeing to "two tier" doesn't indicate the size you will be providing.  If she knew it would be a 6-8 or whatever then she would have no reasonable excuse to complain and would have been better able to buy the proper size roses.  And yes, your cake is a perfectly lovely looking cake.
You don't need to cover the bottom of the board, only the part you will see.  Some people don't cover the part where the cake will sit so they don't use as much fondant, some just cover the whole top even though the cake will sit on it.
Put it in a plastic storage container, zip lock or saran wrap and it will be fine.  No need to seal it up like a mummy, unless you want to.  It really isn't necessary.
You don't need a stiff icing for rosettes, that may have been part of the reason they fell.  And no need to let the crumb coat crust.   The crumb coat is helpful to hide the cake below for any gaps between the rosettes.  Another thing to fill in any gaps is to make comma shaped lines, it disguises them more that stars with the tip.  Whip on a crumb coat, swirl the rosettes, bim, bam, done.  I prefer 2D to 1M.  I think the finished look is about the same but I think the 2D...
It seems to me that different pans, different ovens, different recipes would have different amounts of shrinkage so what works for another person could be too big or too small for you. Measure some of your baked cakes and add on your preferred ganache thickness (times two for both sides of the cake.)
When I did my one tiered cake I did a lot of research to read different ideas.  What I chose to do was leave the slightest gap between the top of the cake and the support dowels so the upper tier was just a hair above the lower cake, not sitting down into it at all.  Not sure if it was just luck or technique but when I separated the tiers to cut and serve the cake the upper tiers came off without taking any frosting off the tier beneath.
I can't help with your question since I don't work with fondant, but for acrylic you could check to see if you have any acrylic places locally.  Our town of less than 90,000 has a business who makes all sorts of things with different thicknesses of acrylic.  Think of the table top clear things on restaurants that hold specials and what not.  You can special order anything.  You could see if there is a place like this around you and see how the prices compare.
Take one of your cake pans, flip it upside down, put it on some non skid and use the side of the pan to practice your letters and numbers.  Pipe all over, scrape it off, and do it over and over again with the same icing.  If you do it every day for 15 or 20 minutes for a week or so you will be surprised how much better you will be doing.