Posts by luddroth

Think about slipping the whole cupcake into a new, decorative wrapper -- then it really doesn't matter.
What brand of cake flour do you use? I can't figure out why you would have a problem with it -- are you trying to substitute cake flour for self-rising flour? Cake flour should always be sifted before use. What do you mean by "weird texture"? Cake flour is usually called for when a finer texture is wanted.
There are lots of butterfly molds and cutters available on the internet. You could use those with gumpaste and have a very solid result.
Companies must be able to show that they have taken efforts to protect and enforce their trademarks. Otherwise, the trademark becomes weak in the eyes of the law and may be copied or infringed leaving the original owner without a remedy. It doesn't matter how long ago you used it or whether you took payment for it, they have to enforce it or they can lose it. You should take down the disputed items from your website and agree not to use the logo again....
I'm not worried about fake wrecks -- your cake shows that skill somehow manifests itself even when the designer is trying to be funny... you couldn't REALLY wreck a cake no matter what.
Nice job! (Actually, since it's level, stacked properly, and the icing is actually sticking to the cake, it's still waaay too nice to be a true wreck!) I do love the bloody plastic lamb, though.
I agree that your piping skills are all there -- very nice job. I also agree that royal icing would look more refined, delicate, and smooth. The pearl border would look more regular if you used fondant and a bead press, but with a little more practice, your piped bead border would be more regular as well. I do think the color is a little intense, but if it was the color they wanted for the wedding, then that's that. Nice work!
I agree that your piping skills are all there -- very nice job. I also agree that royal icing would look more refined, delicate, and smooth. The pearl border would look more regular if you used fondant and a bead press, but with a little more practice, your piped bead border would be more regular as well. I do think the color is a little intense, but if it was the color they wanted for the wedding, then that's that. Nice work!
Just saw an article on Sylvia Weinstock, one of the most expensive cake designers in the world (celebrity weddings, etc.). She said that she hates fondant and doesn't do it at all. She says that she even does drapery in buttercream. So, there's one.
Some of the vendors of the petal dusts also sell an opener -- looks just like an old-fashioned bottle opener. I keep it with the dusts and pearls and use it all the time. Works fine and my dentist approves!