Posts by cakeymom

It is not petty.  And I have been doing cakes for all my nieces and nephews, as well as, other relatives for quite some time now regardless as to whether it is on my side or my husband's side of the family.  This particular niece I am especially fond of.   My main problem is that people that do not do cakes do not appriecaite what goes into it.  Plain and Simple.   Cakeymom
This is actually my husband's niece.  His sister's child.  We both have only been married once to each other now going on 28 1/2 years.   I guess the old saying of, " No good deed goes unpunished" would apply here.  But, I really don't think my MIL meant anything just that she has no idea what goes into a cake like this so she thinks it's a cake to hack up at school.  Which is what I do not apprieciate.   I am now trying to figure out a way to get to the school to take...
We get a long fine.  But, time to time and the times are few and far between, she has made little comments.   But, I don't think she meant any harm.  Just that my niece wanted something for school and if I had thought about it I would have done some doctored cupcakes.   I think my point is that I am an aunt by marriage and did this cake on my own accord. Why did her parents or my MIL not see fit to take something over to the school today??????   Cakeymom
Ok, I did a cake for my husband's niece's birthday today.  It's in my album(Cake Slice Cake).  I starting working on it Monday by baking the layers.  Then I went on to do the other elements buttercream filling, ganache, fondant pieces, cake board, etc.   So long story short. I spent a number of hours on this and it is a family freebie for a niece that is very dear and near to my heart and she is turning 12 today.    Now I get to the GOOD part.  My MIL tells my husband...
This is a family freebie and the only request from my niece was chocolate and more chocolate so whatever I do will be loved. I was just trying to come up with a filling that would be ok without being in the fridge after the it was ganached and covered with fondant. I ended up uses Claire138's suggestion. It tastes divine!!!!! So the cake has to have the final ganache coat to smooth it and I will cover it tomorrow. I'm doing a cake slice cake for my 12 year old niece...
I personally bother because I love a challenge. I get great satisfaction out of baking from scratch. So for me it is a matter of preference. But on the other side if it works for you and baking from a mix and doctoring it is good for you then do it. I completely understand the aspect of having a consistent product. The baking part is not even half of what goes into a creation. And there are some artfully talented people and I really wish that I was of them. My...
Claire138 do you just whip the two together???
What about plain liquid coffee creamer, coffee crystals and a little vanilla added to the mousse mix????  Does anyone think that would work???   Otherwise, I will probaly go with a regular frosting(shortening based).   Cakeymom
I am going I to fill a my chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and then ganache and fondant.  So no problem there.   I am just unsure if I need to refrigerate it overnight since it will have a mousse in it.  Can I possibly just add water instead of milk and some flavoring,(maybe some coffee crystals), to help make it shelf stable.    Also, I am unsure how the fondant will do in the fridge overnight??????   Cakeymom
Need the ratio of chocolate to cream for a thick chocolate ganache. Also, can I use Ghirardelli dipping chocolate to make it?? Cakeymom