Posts by cakeymom

I am a scratch baker and my recipes are perfect, as I have taken the time necessary to make them that way.  Three of my cakes have even won in local contests.  So, why would I try to make a doctored cake mix cake?????  Trying to save time thinking it would be easier.....WRONG!!!!!!!   I had to re bake two half sheets.  Didn't save me time and definitely did not save me money.  This is for work and I am not getting paid, as it is for a wonderful lady retiring in our...
I need something that is quick and relatively inexpensive.  A couple of boxes of cake mix, oil, eggs, etc.  with a quick mix method of dumping it in all in one bowl, mixing it, and then pour it in a pan.  This has to be ready at 8 am and I so, hence the need for something quick.  This does not count cooling, icing, and decorating.  I am doing a sheet cake to expedite the time factor.   Cakeymom
I normally bake from scratch but I need a good light and fluffy cake, as this is not a stacked cake, for a last minute request.  For in the morning!!!!!!!!   Thanks for your help in advance,   Cakeymom
Thanks egna!   This was the third year.  We are now out of the dark ages!!!!!   I am so excited. WHOOT WHOOT!!!!!    KMKakes, if you're not already, also follow the Facebook page entitled Alabama Cottage Food Bill for updates, as well as, a host of other good knowledge and tips.  These ladies are AWESOME!!!!!!   Cakeymom
Alabama now has a Cottage Food Law. YIPPPPPEEEEEEEE! The Governor signed it, so it is official. Cakeymom
Ok below is the recipe I used.  I liked the texture and everything else about this cake, but to me it did not have enough carrot flavor.   Do you think by subbing out some of the oil for strained carrot baby food I'll get what I'm looking for flavorwise?  I have to bake this cake on or before Sunday so I don't have time for a new recipe or to tweak this one more than one additional time, as I work a full time job.   1 1/2 cups sugar 2/3 cups firmly packed brown...
Veronica1203. Metal is not a nontoxic material. I would use a wooden skewer dipped in a thin layer of white chocolate and allow for just a little were the bow meets the cake. But, above all roll your bow on the thinner side and use a mix of 50/50 fondant-gumpaste or 100 gumpaste. This when dry is lighter in weight. Hope this helps, Cakeymom
The Alabama Legislature has sent SB159, the Alabama Cottage Food Bill, on to the Governor for his signature!!!!!!!!   This has been three years in the making and we had some wonderful people spear heading our efforts.  That along with all the calls, faxes, and emails to our legislative bodies will soon turn this bill into a reality!!!!!!!!   Cakeymom
If you are in Alabama and are interested in helping to see the Cottage Food Bill move one more step onto the special order calendar of the Alabama House of Representatives please fax your letters to Victor Gaston at 334-242-2208 or email him at hvgaston04@yahoo.com or call him at 334-242-7664.     The Bill has passed successfully through the Senate with one amendment.  But now needs to make it onto the special order calendar for the House to vote on it and it still has...
I made the cake layers earlier in the week so I was committed to red velvet. But I just finished filling and icing the cake. I ended up making a SMBC. For the filling I added pulverized freeze dried strawberries. It is yummy and this way there was no chance of watering down that luscious SMBC that I worked so hard on. Then I iced it with the vanilla flavored SMBC. It will be simple design. The color of the icing is a soft pale mint green and I have one:-) wafer...